Understanding how much disk space is actually in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiejunk

Contributor
I’m having a bit of a problem understanding how much disk space is actually in use.

I have 24 512 gig drives. Setup in 6, 4 drive RaidZ2. So raw storage that should leave me with roughly 6TB
JRbYc0L.png

In this jpg the “Size” is what was provisioned. This has no relation to the reality of how much physical disk space is on the machine, correct?
yJi0XAu.png

Under ”Available” this IS what is physically available disk space on the machine?

The /tank1/iscsi-groups doesn’t show anything as Used or available. So i’m assuming no matter what is in there i need to write off the 1.50TB of space?

Tank1 says 1.7Tib used. Is this the total of all the stuff stored in tank1? So esx and ISOs?

So if this all works like i think it does I should be able to add up what is used in tank1, what’s available, and the space reserved for the iscsi groups and come up with the grand total of disk space in the machine.
So:
tank1 - 1.7TiB
Available 1.3 TiB
iScsi 1.5T
= 4.5TB

So i don’t understand what i’m missing. Anyone have any ideas?

0ITNvM5.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
df doesn't work properly for ZFS. Don't use those numbers and they don't understand ZFS. du is the same way. If you are trying to find a big folder somewhere it might work(if its not snapshots you are looking for), but other than that df/du is broken.

The solution is to use zfs list.

You can use zpool iostat to see the current free and used disk space, but those numbers will be different from zfs list. The reason being that zpool iostat actually counts the total number of bytes free in the pool ignoring redundancy. So you'll get more free space than you can actually allocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.