How to determine how much space is available on boot drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
I've been running FreeNAS 9.2.1.x for a while, and I think it rocks! I'm planning on upgrading my system to FreeNAS 9.3 when it becomes available, but I've heard that it converts the boot disk from UFS to ZFS to enable snapshots for different boot configurations. Needless to say, this would use up additional space on the boot drive.

So, before I dive into 9.3, I've run 'df -h' to attempt to determine how much space is left on boot drive. When I did that, I got the following:

Code:
Filesystem                                                   Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a                                          926M    704M    148M    83%    /
devfs                                                        1.0k    1.0k      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/md0                                                     4.6M    3.3M    890k    79%    /etc
/dev/md1                                                     823k    2.0k    756k     0%    /mnt
/dev/md2                                                     149M     34M    102M    25%    /var
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4                                            19M    4.9M     13M    27%    /data
tank                                                         2.3T    325k    2.3T     0%    /mnt/tank

My zpool is /mnt/tank, so I presume that all of the other mounted filesystems are on the boot disk. Is that right? So, if I add up the available space on all of those filesystems will I get the total free space on the boot disk? Or is there a better way to determine the remaining capacity of the boot disk?

Regards,
Geoffrey

D

dlavigne

Do you not just know the size of the device FreeNAS is installed into?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
My guess is that you've got a 1G boot device that is 83% full. If that is accurate, you are going to need a larger USB drive. I think the recommendation is at least 8GB. Without other output, I can't tell if the other mount points are on the same device or not.

fracai

Guru
Hasn't the minimum size been 4GB for a while?

Plus, FreeNAS before 9.3 would write out four partitions. Two were for the OS (FreeNAS switches between them during upgrades and reboots) and the other two are the data partitions that are swapped respectively with the boot partitions. It's something like that anyway. I know there are four partitions, two are for the OS and the other two are data or something. Regardless, you can't resize the partitions or add additional partitions to take up any extra space if you use a drive larger than 4GB and you can't use a device smaller either because of how the partitions are required to be written out.

When I move to 9.3 I'm using two fresh sticks that'll be mirrored. I think they're 16GB each; it seemed like a good of time as any to increase the size.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Hasn't the minimum size been 4GB for a while?
The minimum is (or has been) 2 GB, but many "2 GB" devices are actually slightly less than 2 GB, so 4 GB+ has been recommended.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Starting with 9.3, 4GB is pretty much the minimum, with more being better, within reason (more storage == more snapshots).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's not snapshots, it's "clones". Same thing, but not exactly. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.