Unable to upgrade FreeNAS to TrueNAS or fresh install TrueNAS

blansmith2

Cadet
I am currently running FreeNAS 11.3-U5 Release-p14 on a SuperMicro Superserver (5028L-TN2) with a Intel i7-4790. I have 16GiB of ram. 4 3TiB drives with ZFS and 1 250GiB NVMe drive for jails that isn't using ZFS. The os is running on a 32Gib thumb drive.
I tried to do an update through the GUI to TrueNAS and when the system reboots it fails.
I then tried to do a fresh install on a new thumb drive and the same thing occurred.
Then I removed all of my Hard drives and my NVMe Drive and tried another fresh install and got the same thing.
Then I used an old Dell Computer and installed TrueNAS on a crucial 256Gib SSD drive with a usb hookup no problems. I plugged that into my SuperMicro through USB and got the same exact issue.
Attached is a picture of where the boot screen stops. I am unsure of how to get anymore info than what is actually shown on my monitor when the boot fails.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Truenas.jpg
    Truenas.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 280

blansmith2

Cadet
Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Try: (1) Re-download the ISO and make sure that it checksums correctly. The download potentially could be corrupt. (Yes, it will partially run in my experience)
(2) I have the best success using Etcher to write to the USB thumb drive (over Rufus, Linux ISO writer, etc.) (Same as above, the write to the USB thumb drive installer seems to work and then it fails)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you have a Mac, Linux or BSD as your desktop system, I recommend using dd to write the boot medium.

blansmith2

Cadet
I'll try etcher. I did use rufus and the boot drive will boot correctly on a old dell optiplex just fine. Same as the SSD drive.they both fail on my supermicro for some reason.
I also have ubuntu running on a server at home. I will try dd as well if etcher doesn't work.
I'll let you know.

Thanks.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I have seen cases with Rufus (and Etcher, although fewer) where the boot started and seemed to work, until it did not. Switching to the other of the two resolved all those cases.

blansmith2

Cadet
I used Etcher and it does the same thing. It loads up until that exact point in the screenshot.

A couple more thoughts:
  1. Are you using a USB3 thumb drive? If so, use a USB2 thumb drive
  2. Are you using the USB3 port on the motherboard? If so, use the USB2 port

blansmith2

Cadet
it’s a 3.0 drive and maybe port. I will try a 2.0 drive when I get a chance.

thanks for the suggestion

SubnetMask

Contributor
Although this isn't related to TrueNAS, it is related to Newfoundland.Republic's suggestion. I had issues installing Windows server on a Dell server using a USB3 thumbdrive in the USB2 port - no matter what I did, it failed to partition the onboard volume. Tried re-writing the USB key several times, as well as several different thumbdrives (All I had at the time was USB3 thumbdrives), always with the same result, so I bought and tried a USB2 thumbdrive and it installed perfectly. While I can understand some operating systems and/or boot media not properly recognizing USB3 ports on a motherboard, you'd think a USB3 thumbdrive in a USB2 port would behave exactly the same as a USB2 thumbdrive in a USB2 port, but that apparently, for some reason that is not the case.

blansmith2

Cadet
I tried a usb 2.0 drive in the 2.0 port and same result. Boot stops at the same spot as my screen shot. I currently run freenas on a usb 3.0 on the 3.0 port fine. But if I run the update through the GUI, or try fresh install, or install on another machine and move the boot drive over it keeps freezing. Always at the same spot.

blansmith2

Cadet
Also another thing. When I originally tried to do the update I lost my boot drive since it wouldn’t boot. So I tried to fresh install freenas 11.3 U5 and it also did the same thing. I think I went all the way back to U3 and that worked. Don’t know if that helps. Thanks