Unable to select Nvme M.2 drive when installing trueNAS Scale

SkullerX

Cadet
Hello, I am new to TrueNAS . I have read some documentation. I have listed the hardware I am using below.

Motherboard - ASUS crosshair hero 6 x370 ( updated to latest bios)
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x ( will upgrade to 3900x)
Ram - 16GB 3000mhz non-ECC ( will upgrade to 64gb ECC later )
PSU - 1050watt gold
Case - Silverstone CS380

For Drives, i need some suggestion

Boot drive for TrueNAS scale - M.2 500GB Nvme ( Currently ) but i am planning to get 2*2.5inch 240gb SSD for redundancy ( I also read somewhere no need of using nvme drive for booting maybe i can later install a virtual OS on it.

Is using dual sdd for boot redundancy worth investing in?

One issue i have recently faced was when i tried installing the true as OS on the drive selection page i am unable to select the Nvme sdd when i try to select it prompt it says u must need to select 1 drive. why did this happen any suggestions, Later to check whether SSD is faulty or not i installed Windows on it and it works fine.

For the storage drive, i have currently bought 2 4Tb Wolfs but i am planning to buy some 10 TB drives as the case only has 8 bays.

I am unsure about the RAID configuration i need to use pls enlighten me about this and is it mandatory to use all similar drives?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is using dual sdd for boot redundancy worth investing in?
Depends on how you value down-time.

If you're able to justify that an extra $50 on a second SSD saves you enough money, then fine.

If you can manage to live without TrueNAS for an hour while you reinstall and restore your config and reboot, then save the $50.

I am unsure about the RAID configuration i need to use pls enlighten me about this and is it mandatory to use all similar drives?
You haven't said why you want the NAS in the first place, so recommendations of pool design that will match your requirements aren't possible at this stage.

It can be sensible to use similar drives in a VDEV/pool as performance of everything together is determined by the slowest one.

i have currently bought 2 4Tb Wolfs but i am planning to buy some 10 TB drives as the case only has 8 bays.
If you plan to expand capacity after creating a pool with just the 2 existing drives, you'll need to use mirrors.

You can add additional pairs/mirrors after that and they can be different sizes (although performance gains from having mirrors won't apply in that case... only where mirrors are the same in the pool and the pool is balanced).

If your plan is to use all of the drives and get maximum capacity from them (with a little redundancy, using RAIDZ2), then you do need to consider size as the smallest disk in RAIDZ is the size used by all disks... mixing 2TB with 10TB disks wastes 8TB per 10TB disk.

One issue i have recently faced was when i tried installing the true as OS on the drive selection page i am unable to select the Nvme sdd when i try to select it prompt it says u must need to select 1 drive. why did this happen any suggestions, Later to check whether SSD is faulty or not i installed Windows on it and it works fine.
Not really sure what you mean here, but you must select at least one drive in order to install... if you select 2, that's fine also, but it must appear in the list first, so maybe some BIOS settings need investigation.

SkullerX

Cadet
You haven't said why you want the NAS in the first place, so recommendations of pool design that will match your requirements aren't possible at this stage.

My main end use is to make a NAS where I can store all my data with at least some level of redundancy and i want it to be shared among my teammates and client so the data can easily access and maybe sometimes i can use it as a virtual machine as ( i think ryzen 9 with 12 core can be able to handle the workload i will pair it with a 1080ti which i have one spare.) in a future upgrade.

As i have already bought two 4TB drives what possible option do i have? Or should I dump them and only get 10TB ones i want to get the maximum storage with some form of redundancy.

SkullerX

Cadet
My main end use is to make a NAS where I can store all my data with at least some level of redundancy and i want it to be shared among my teammates and client so the data can easily access and maybe sometimes i can use it as a virtual machine as ( i think ryzen 9 with 12 core can be able to handle the workload i will pair it with a 1080ti which i have one spare.) in a future upgrade.

As i have already bought two 4TB drives what possible option do i have? Or should I dump them and only get 10TB ones i want to get the maximum storage with some form of redundancy.
@sretalla any recommendations