Unable to search within directory - OSX Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgangles

Cadet
Hello,

We recently got FreeNAS 8 up and running here at our company to use as a network Art server. Everything seemed to be working great, we are able to access all of our stored files from both our PC's running Windows 7/XP and from our Macs running Tiger/Snow Leopard/Lion.

We connect on windows through a CIFS share and on Mac though a AFP share.

While we do have access to all of our files from all of the machines, we are not currently able to search within the shared FreeNAS directory from our one Mac running OS X Lion (10.7.3). We have tried searching through the standard Finder and through Spotlight and neither are able to search within the directory. All of our other machines (non-OSX Lion) are able to search the directory without a problem.

Does anyone know how I would go about getting OS X Lion to be able to search within our FreeNAS directory? We have over 150,000 art files stored on our server and it takes a VERY long time to sift through all of it looking for the file you want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eboaz

Cadet
Lion uses Spotlight in order to search network shares. Lion server supports this for AFP. Lion might default to file name searches for other protocols, such as CIFS so I would suggest trying CIFS.

drgangles

Cadet
Eboaz. Thanks for the reply. I will give CIFS a try from the macs and if that doesnt work I will upgrade to lion server.

Solecist

Cadet
Hi guys, i'm new here, i have registered just because of this problem.
I have OS X Lion, and a FreeNas 8 with AFP and CIFS protocols activated.
I have 6 HDD of 2 TB working on my NAS, and i want to search for example some "*.bin" files...
And Lion doesn't search on FreeNas 8 AFP or even CIFS.
I installed Lion Server, but i don't see any way of making this work... Anyone can help me here?

drgangles

Cadet
Hi guys, i'm new here, i have registered just because of this problem.
I have OS X Lion, and a FreeNas 8 with AFP and CIFS protocols activated.
I have 6 HDD of 2 TB working on my NAS, and i want to search for example some "*.bin" files...
And Lion doesn't search on FreeNas 8 AFP or even CIFS.
I installed Lion Server, but i don't see any way of making this work... Anyone can help me here?

I still have not found any way of making this work. I spoke to an Apple developer and he confirmed that upgrading to lion server will only give you the ability to search within network volumes if the network volumes are apple hardware. I thought that the release of the new Lion compatible version of Spotless would solve this issue and allow me to enable spotlight indexing of network shares but after purchasing it last week I found out it still does not work for network shares, only for local stored volumes. So far the only thing that has worked for me to get searching somewhat enabled is to use the mdutil terminal commands and manually enable indexing on the share, but even that is only temporary and doesn't give me a fully indexed search. This is getting really frustrating as my company definitely doesn't have the budget to go out and build a Apple file server.

Joe Arrigo

Cadet
I'm not sure if this will help but I to was unable to spotlight search via smb and afp. I enabled nfs and was able to index and spotlight the server. Notably I started out by mounting specific folders on the server and forcing indexing via terminal. The spotlight index remains even after unmount. I can provide further information to anyone that needs it??

Status
Not open for further replies.