Setting Up FreeNAS within a University Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOHM

Dabbler
Hi All,

I would like to use FreeNAS to share files and easily back-up all our study data, as network storage fees are expensive with the University IT group.

I was wondering what I have to do in order to allow my computers that are already connected within the University Network to see my FreeNAS system. We currently have to register the Physical Addresses of the machines everytime we bring one into the lab and have registered the machine's physical address with the network before I installed free nas.

Please let me know what other information you may need about the University Network in order to allow my FreeNAS system to function within it.

Thanks,
J

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I was wondering what I have to do in order to allow my computers that are already connected within the University Network to see my FreeNAS system. We currently have to register the Physical Addresses of the machines everytime we bring one into the lab and have registered the machine's physical address with the network before I installed free nas.

Yeah, nobody here is likely to be very useful. You need to know how the University LAN is built.

DOHM

Dabbler
Yeah, nobody here is likely to be very useful. You need to know how the University LAN is built.

Fair enough. I'm hoping that the URL that is spit out after set-up will just be accessible from the get go. Doubtful though...

joeschmuck

Old Man
You need to know one of the University computer geeks. I would expect the LAN to be difficult to do anything on without opening up many routers/switches to allow it. Sounds like a request you will need to make to the computer department.

You dind't mention if this was local (in the same room) access or across the campus access. If in your room, buy a network switch and connect them together. Find a computer geek and they will come up with a dozen ways you could do it. You could do wireless as well but all this will cost money.

DOHM

Dabbler
You need to know one of the University computer geeks. I would expect the LAN to be difficult to do anything on without opening up many routers/switches to allow it. Sounds like a request you will need to make to the computer department.

You dind't mention if this was local (in the same room) access or across the campus access. If in your room, buy a network switch and connect them together. Find a computer geek and they will come up with a dozen ways you could do it. You could do wireless as well but all this will cost money.

Yes it is in the same room, but I have 4 computers that I would like to be able to connect to it. Would that mean that they all need two Ethernet ports, one to connect to the switch and one to internet jack? Or can all the computers connect to one switch and then that switch connects to one internet jack?

Is there an easy way to find the ip address given to my FreeNAS system if I haven't been able to connect to it from a web browser from another computer?

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
This sounds like an easy job but too involved to work out here. You just need to locate a computer person there and it could be setup in short order. A network switch, maybe a wireless router with 4 ports would work best. Find a friend is my best advice.

DOHM

Dabbler
This sounds like an easy job but too involved to work out here. You just need to locate a computer person there and it could be setup in short order. A network switch, maybe a wireless router with 4 ports would work best. Find a friend is my best advice.

Just to finish off this post. FreeNAS worked on my test system.

Hostname freenas.local
Build FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x86 (r12825)
Platform Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz
Memory 486MB
System Time Wed Feb 06 11:03:39 PST 2013
Uptime 11:03AM up 2:03, 0 users
Load Average 0.05, 0.14, 0.11
Connected through 129.173.*.*

To be sure I waited until my Physical Address was registered with the University Network and could go on the internet while in Windows. Once I was sure I was connected to the internet I made a note of my IP, Gateway, etc. Then I ran FreeNAS off USB. It popped out an IP address that was the same as when I checked through windows. Then I was able to log-in through all the other computers in my lab with that IP.

Thanks for all your comments.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.