Setting up a persistent Live USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbektrix

Cadet
I have not used FreeNas before. I am a total newbie. I would like to know if its possible, if yes, the steps to create a persistent live USB. I used Universal USB Installer from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ to create Live USB for Linux. But it seems like they don't support FreeNas. I would like to if there is a similar app that lets me do the same thing. So that I can boot up in a PC, select the drive to be shared and start sharing within my home network.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi qbektrix,

If you have a look at the documentation in my signature below, it tells you exactly how to create a bootable USB flash drive. You can either download the ISO image, make a CD, boot it and flash you USB drive, or use Physwrite, another program you can download. Read the docs, and search the forums! This question has been asked and answered over and over....

pv2008

Cadet
Hi qbektrix,

If you have a look at the documentation in my signature below, it tells you exactly how to create a bootable USB flash drive. You can either download the ISO image, make a CD, boot it and flash you USB drive, or use Physwrite, another program you can download. Read the docs, and search the forums! This question has been asked and answered over and over....

Hi

Most of the documentations seem to refer only to USB drives. Do they apply in the case of a compact flash card? I have previously run Freenas 7 off a compact flash card (via IDE, 2GB and FAT32 formatted), and was wondering if reuse the same card when I install Freenas 8 in the near future. Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
Yes, many people have installed it to compact flash using an adapter and run FreeNAS that way.

StephenFry

Contributor
Just make sure the 2GB card truly is 2GB and not 1.8GB or so. This tends to happen with (cheapish) USB drives especially, but might happen with CF cards as well. If you get strange installation errors, just upgrade to a slightly larger card.

Status
Not open for further replies.