Unable to remove Truenas Core from System...

b123guy

Cadet
Hi! New poster here but not exactly a NOOB either...
I have a working system, Currently TrueNas Core 13. It currently runs my Plex server, has 2 Ubuntu VMs on it.. one with Pi Hole and another for Docker.
Great system, however, whenever there is a power blip, my APC doesn't like it (yes I probably need to replace it) and it shuts down. It takes manual intervention to get the system back online, then boot time, then vm boot time as well. I decided to buy another machine to offload the Pihole and docker to in an attempt to fix this SPOF.

Machine that i'm having trouble with is a mini PC with 16gb of Ram, a 500 GB NVME, and I added a 500 GB SSD to the machine. (I did my research on 2 disk install before doing so) Only has usb inputs, so any installs have to be done via USB isos.
First attempt at installing TrueNas.. I goofed and chose both drives to install to. Made both part of the boot partition and thus had no storage to create pools.. so no VM's. Had a bear of a time undoing this.. but as mentioned as I saw in other posts to use something to boot and try to wipe the drives.
I first used another utility .. something Redo I found on Sourceforge.. didn't help. I have an ISO of Ubuntu which I was able to wipe the drive and reinstall Truenas again.. Just on one drive.. However, I had an issue with it creating the pool.. but got it to take.. but when creating the first VM.. It went through the motions.. but it failed and won't work properly... So I gave up and have tried more than a couple of times to reinstall Ubuntu.. I've reformatted and thought I removed the Truenas.. but it still boots to truenas. I've seen another post to try DBAN.. but have no external CD rom Drive. I would prefer to use Truenas as I would like the flexibiity it gives and the admin, and not have to SSH to do stuff. But if I can't get the VM to install, it's not of use.. (did exact same steps as I did when I installed it on my main box)
Any help would be appreciated!

chuck32

Guru
but when creating the first VM.. It went through the motions.. but it failed and won't work properly... So I gave up and have tried more than a couple of times to reinstall Ubuntu.. I've reformatted and thought I removed the Truenas.. but it still boots to truenas. I've seen another post to try DBAN.. but have no external CD rom Drive. I would prefer to use Truenas as I would like the flexibiity it gives and the admin, and not have to SSH to do stuff. But if I can't get the VM to install, it's not of use.. (did exact same steps as I did when I installed it on my main box)
Any help would be appreciated!
So truenas is running but you cannot create a VM? Why would you want to purge the drives for that?
Add details what exactly the error is other than "it failed".

Easiest way and probably more secure to use some software you found somewhere (where did you even install that, if both drives where in use for truenas?) is to boot an Linux live USB and wipe the drives from there. Something like fdisk should do the trick, i.e. removing the partitions should be enough rather than really wiping.