SOLVED Unable to read files inside iocage jails after FreeNAS 11.2 RC1 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownz

Dabbler
I have just updated from '11.2 BETA3' to '11.2 RC1'...
Jails run fine, access jail via SSH or via GUI console: iocage exec plex.
When inside a jail attempt to access text file via nano or ee text editor: nano /var/log/messages.
All text files inside all jails are unreadable, just blank white space and a borked text editor command list displayed at bottom of page.

I think this is a permissions issue, but everything was working fine before.
This is only linked to the jails, when accessing a text file from smb share can read fine.

What do I do?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

To clarify: by "inside a jail", do you mean that you are using the Shell option from the UI for the jail or ssh'ing into the jail? If you mean the UI option, please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

dfunked

Cadet
Same thing happened here. iocage exec <jailname> and then try editing pretty much any file and it'll show white space as the OP mentions. Think I did manage to view the contents of /etc/rc.conf with vi, but couldn't scroll through it with numpad like usual.

Just gave up and reverted to the 11.2 beta 3 boot environment in the end. I was doing this in the first place because openvpn wasn't starting on this jail after the update, so there's clearly something a bit broken here... I'll spin up a VM and try to reproduce over the weekend.

Brownz

Dabbler
@dlavigne Access jail via SSH or via GUI console seems pretty self explanatory...but yes i did both 'Shell option from the UI for the jail or ssh'ing into the jail' with same results... I have posted a bug report, hopefully will be fixed soon.
@dfunked I did exactly same as you my openvpn died and couldn't investigate the issue because of not being able to read the logs, so have reverted back to BETA 3. Wish I could post a bug report for openvpn too, but I cant provide any info, maybe the issues are related.

This RC 1 release has given me some major issues, hope its not something stupid iv overlooked...or is everyone experiencing this?

I can reproduce this. :( The good news is that this issue is already fixed on iocage master and in the FreeNAS nightlies.

As a workaround, you can use the standard jexec command to get to the console, e.g. jexec ioc-plex Note that you'll have to start the jails first using iocage. Run jls -N to see what's running; iocage typically adds an "ioc-" prefix.

Brownz

Dabbler
Glad is wasn't just me...ticket has been added.
Latest 11.2 Release doesn't contain issue, so problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.