Unable to reach WebUI from VLAN interface in 11.2-U6

System:

MB: Supermicro X11SSH-TF
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v6
RAM: 32GB ECC
HDD: 8x WD Red 2TB
NIC: Onboard 2x X550 10GBase-T

Hi,

I'm getting crazy with the last version of FreeNAS. I can't reach the management webui from a VLAN interface.

Everything works at the network level, I can ping the default gateway of the VLAN interface, ping it from other networks, ping the other FreeNAS 11.1-U6 management interface that resides on the same VLAN that is used only for storage management interfaces. The other FreeNAS VLANs work perfectly. All I did was configure the new FreeNAS the same way as the other one and make sure I add the Init postinit command on the physical interface to make sure my VLAN interfaces are up and boot but all I get is the "Connecting to NAS... Make sure the NAS system is powered on and connected to the network."

Please don't start telling me how to configure VLANs I have 3 esxi hosts with a vCenter with about 20 vlans for different kind of services so this is not a configuration issue on my side but a problem with the version of FreeNAS.

Does anyone have any idea on why the webui doesn't work from a VLAN interface with this version? And if everybody has the same issue is there a way to download older FreeNAS releases like the 11.1-U6 so that I can give it a try. I already lost 2 days so I might as well try another release.

Thanks for your help,

headhunter

OK I found the root of the problem: web browser cache!!!

I found an old 11.1-U4 iso and tested it and I had weird interface issues and faced the same problem with the interface being unreachable. Cleared the cache, even if this IP has never been assigned before, and bingo it works. I'll revert to the 11.2-U6 and clear the cache and I'm confidend it will work.

I'll be back in a moment after I resinstall the latest version and confirm that everything works fine.

No it doesn't work with 11.2-U6. Still the same message "Connecting to NAS... Make sure the NAS system is powered on and connected to the network."

No of course not. VLAN just don't work on the management interface. I installed 11.1-u4 that works but the service tab wouldn't load unless the interface was not on a VLAN and the 10Gb onboard nic was not running at 10Gb but 1Gb instead. I upgraded to 11.1-U7 to see if at least the nic would detect the 10Gb link at every single reboot but no success then I upgraded to 11.2-U6 again just to see if it an upgraded system would "work" better but with no success neither.

The only way to have the webui working correctly is to not have it on a VLAN which is a security issue in my environment (everything is locked down at the network level). Now I'm making speed tests but I'm not impressed whatsoever, speed seems sluggish at best, vmotion was taking way more than it should to migrate a 10GB VM to the 10Gb datastor.

There are just too many basic things that don't work right now in FreeNAS to put it into production. Since the only things I need are VLANs, ZFS and NFS I'm thinking of going back to Nexentastor (haven't used it since 2011) or do as I was doing before that and install linux or freebsd and have my NFS shares exported that way.

That UI is a plague that ruins a good product, I wish we could do all the configuration from the console (or at least the essentials) instead of relying on unstable web uis. VMware did the same mistake with their web client turning their unbreakable product into a mess because it now relies on the least reliable piece of software in the world: web browsers.

But whatever thanks for asking

Last edited: