Isolated Networks - Production vlan & Dev vlan. FreeNAS configured as the same IP in both networks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

booker

Cadet
I would like to configure freeNAS as an NFS server. I have 2 isolated networks we can call Production and DEV.

Production is on vlan 15
DEV is on vlan 304

FreeNAS is installed as a VM guest on esxi. Each vNIC in the VM guest configuration is configure to a port group that passes all vlan IDs, all 4095

So I've created a vlan interface in freeNAS:

em0 is parent to vlan interface vlan15 (tagged 15 traffic)
em1 is parent to vlan interface vlan304 (tagged 304 traffic)

The network in both vlans are 10.15.0.0/16, gateway 10.15.0.1

see where I'm heading? I have a server, let's say 10.15.2.2 that's in both Production and in DEV. But I want to create an single nfs mount on freeNAS where the server in production and dev (same ip address but different vlans) can share. FreeNAS would be assigned the IP address of 10.15.2.41 on both the production and DEV vlan.

Is this possible or is there another approach? Technically freenas doesn't have to be configured with the same ip in both production and test,

I've assigned the interface vlan15 with the ip address 10.15.2.41 255.255.0.0 just to see if I can ping freenas from the production vlan side and it is not working. I'm pretty sure it has to do with not having a gateway or static route and this is where I'm not sure how to configure correctly.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here's the ifconfig output. Sorry it had to be images as i can't cut and paste from the esxi console.

freenas1.png

freenas2.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not sure if what you're trying to do is just a very bad idea or outright impossible without insane amounts of network silly stuff, I'd have to think about it.

Yeah, I don't think you can do this. Or use the same subnet, even. Otherwise, there's no way to route traffic between the two VLANs. You'd need a relay on the other side of your NAT, which I guess is vaguely doable with double NAT, but we're firmly in "Please do not do this!" territory.

The correct way to do this is to route the traffic you want to allow between the two subnets. That's something for your router to do (and I do not mean a crap litte - or good, even - consumer device, you need a real router/firewall, like pfSense).

booker

Cadet
I somewhat got the idea of this venture because we have a virtualized pfsense box that has all the vlans trunked to it and that in fact is what separates our Production and DEV networks. I didn't set it up, but works great. Having this setup separates PROD and DEV nicely but now I'm trying to break that and making it easy to share things between the 2 vlans. The goal is really to have a shared folder that both PROD and DEV have access to basically a folder to dump things in that both networks have direct access to.

Any suggestions? There's got to be a simple way to do this. Any hints or direction would be appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, yes. Just have pfSense route between the VLANs. Of course, they need different subnets,

Status
Not open for further replies.