SOLVED Unable to install

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasen46

Cadet
Very new to this so sorry if it pisses people off.

Trying to install truenas 12 1.1u and as soon as i select 1 on the install menu it sarts to run and gives me the errors seen in the picture.
Any help would be appreciated
truenas.jpg

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Your boot media is corrupt. Try downloading the ISO again, and checking the checksums, before burning it to another thumb drive.

Samuel Tai

Also, try using a USB2.0 thumb drive in a USB2.0 port.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
If you used Rufus on windows to create the USB stick, ensure that you wrote it in "dd" mode as well.

Samuel Tai

At download.freenas.org, the 12.0-U1.1 ISO has a corresponding SHA256 checksum file, which is just a text file. In a PowerShell, run Get-FileHash </path/to/ISO>, and compare the output to the contents of the SHA256 checksum file. This will tell you if you had a valid download, and the ISO wasn't corrupted in transit.

Samuel Tai

Rufus is supposed to prompt you when you start writing, whether you want to write in ISO or DD mode.

You also could try Etcher. I've had more luck with Etcher than Rufus, and others.

dlobel

Dabbler
I have exact the same problem. Downloaded diverse ISO’s of TrueNas and FreeNas. DD and used Rufus to write to USB. Used 4 different usb sticks, from new to old. 2, 16 and 32 GB. Nothing works. Still got stuck at the same point as chasen64. After loading masks. Booting Legacy on, secure off. Nothing works...

Samuel Tai

Then the problem is likely your hardware is incompatible with the BTX bootloader. Try installing 11.1 first, which uses GRUB. Then once you've achieved a working installation, upgrade within the system to 12.0-U2.

dlobel

Dabbler
Then the problem is likely your hardware is incompatible with the BTX bootloader. Try installing 11.1 first, which uses GRUB. Then once you've achieved a working installation, upgrade within the system to 12.0-U2.

Hello Samuel, I've tried to install FreeNAS 9, 11 and 12. All have exact the same problem. Install freezes after masks messages. Just checked the SHA256 checksum and those were correct. Tried the install on several USB sticks. Still same result. Because I have an HP prodesk 400 (thin PC) I dont have a CD drive, so i'm stuck to the use of usb sticks.

Any more help would be appriciated!

Samuel Tai

Are you using USB2 sticks in USB2 ports? USB3 ports and sticks won't work. On the back of the ProDesk 400, there are USB ports labeled with SS (SuperSpeed). Don't use those ports.

It's likely HP's done proprietary things to the UEFI BIOS to prevent installation of 3rd party OSs. The datasheet says these are optimized for Windows 10.

Last edited:
@dlobel - what model of motherboard are you using?

pschatz100

Guru
Another thing to try: Set the boot device type to BIOS or LEGACY, and create your boot media for BIOS boot. I'm not familiar with the Pro Desk 400 myself, but I have seen some systems that are fussy about the boot device type. Also, make certain you have enabled whatever you need in bios to make certain you can boot from a flash drive. Some systems require a specific setting for this.

dlobel

Dabbler
Another thing to try: Set the boot device type to BIOS or LEGACY, and create your boot media for BIOS boot. I'm not familiar with the Pro Desk 400 myself, but I have seen some systems that are fussy about the boot device type. Also, make certain you have enabled whatever you need in bios to make certain you can boot from a flash drive. Some systems require a specific setting for this.

With BIOS boot you mean MBR in stead of GPT UEFI? Can you boot FreeBSD from an MBR USB device?

pschatz100

Guru
With BIOS boot you mean MBR in stead of GPT UEFI? Can you boot FreeBSD from an MBR USB device?
No, that is not what I mean.

When you run the installer to create a boot device from the ISO that you downloaded, you have the option to create a BIOS boot device or a UEFI boot device. Try telling it to create a BIOS boot device. Also, you will have to set BIOS boot in your motherboard bios (on some boards it is called LEGACY.)

For instance, my Supermicro X9SCM board is fussy about which devices will work with UEFI boot - some work OK, but others do not. I don't know why this is and have never bothered to find out. I am currently booting from an SSD that was set up for BIOS boot, and it works just fine.

dlobel

Dabbler
No, that is not what I mean.

When you run the installer to create a boot device from the ISO that you downloaded, you have the option to create a BIOS boot device or a UEFI boot device. Try telling it to create a BIOS boot device. Also, you will have to set BIOS boot in your motherboard bios (on some boards it is called LEGACY.)

For instance, my Supermicro X9SCM board is fussy about which devices will work with UEFI boot - some work OK, but others do not. I don't know why this is and have never bothered to find out. I am currently booting from an SSD that was set up for BIOS boot, and it works just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need some help with this.

I use MacOS to "dd" the iso to an USB stick. I don't know how I can set the DD command to create an BIOS boot device. The dd command transfers RAW data to the USB stick (and 1-1 copy of the ISO file). Or should I use another tool?

I also have access to a Windows 10 machine, so if needed I could use Rufus (or other) to create a boot device.

It's just a pity that I have an spare PC laying around here and not be able to get is NAS ready.

Etorix

Wizard
On OS X balana Etcher is the most convenient tool for writing ISO images to USB sticks. Give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.