Unable to install Plex Media Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNSeeker

Dabbler
Hi,

I ran into problem of installing Plex Media Server on FreeNAS-11.0-U2.

After I upgraded to 11, Plex stopped running.

I uninstalled Plex old version and reinstalled Plex but it kept failing to complete with the following error.

***Error message***
Install plugin
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.222.5/plugins/plugin/install/6357a7................................9f6/
Software Version: FreeNAS-11.0-U2 (e417d8aa5)
Exception Type: MiddlewareError
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: b"Failed to install plugin: cannot open 'zvol1/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail@clean': dataset does not exist\nERROR: Failed creating clean ZFS base clone\n"]
Exception Location: ./freenasUI/jails/utils.py in new_default_plugin_jail, line 721
Server time: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 22:14:20 +1000

Traceback
Request URL: http://192.168.222.5/plugins/plugin/install/6357a7................................9f6/
Traceback:
File "./freenasUI/jails/utils.py" in new_default_plugin_jail
718. w.create(**create_args)
File "./freenasUI/common/warden.py" in create
1093. return self.__call(warden_create(flags, **kwargs))
File "./freenasUI/common/warden.py" in __call
1066. tmp = obj.run()
File "./freenasUI/common/warden.py" in run
461. raise warden_exception(msg)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
39. response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
249. response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
162. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/plugins/views.py" in install_available
306. raise e
File "./freenasUI/plugins/views.py" in install_available
302. jail = new_default_plugin_jail(plugin.unixname)
File "./freenasUI/jails/utils.py" in new_default_plugin_jail
721. raise MiddlewareError(_("Failed to install plugin: %s") % e)
Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /plugins/plugin/install/6357a7................................9f6/
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: b"Failed to install plugin: cannot open 'zvol1/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail@clean': dataset does not exist\nERROR: Failed creating clean ZFS base clone\n"]

I have been searching but could not find a close match to my error for a solution. And wondering if anybody could be kind enough to help, please.

Thank you in anticipation.

Phil2112

Dabbler
Don't know that error, but some people have run into problems with two wardens running at same time. If you look in storage you might find two wardens, and it might be worth it to destroy one of them. I would back up a snapshot before doing so, but it has solved similar problems for me in the past.

I have also run into problems getting plugins to start recently. If you are able to get a new jail running with the plugin in it after destroying an extra warden (if that is the issue), then I suggest going to the jail, calling up a shell and enter: service plexmediaserver start to start the plugin instead of relying on the GUI (until the jails are fixed).

ETA: Actually, wait, I recall having a similar problem upgrading to 11 and getting the Emby server to work. I still can't get the GUI to turn on the sever, but it works great from the command line. If you don't have any other jails (or can't get things to work with what I mentioned above), then I actually suggest something more radical -- destroy the warden altogether and start afresh. IIRC, that is what I had to do to get my jail working properly again with 11.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru

FNSeeker

Dabbler
Phil2112,
Thank you for your suggestion. I tried the steps you suggested but no go. I also tried below approach. But I have now deleted all remnants of Plex, including jail storages for Plex. I guess I have to restart from crash again. It just takes time which I have in between jobs. Not being a database administrator however, I am kinda walking slowly. Thanks again.

nightshade00013
& pschatz100
I also tried your method but FreeNAS seems to stall halfway. As I mentioned to phil above, I decided to go back to rebuild Plex from crash. Maybe cleaner in my case.
Thank you all again for your replies and for being good netizens. Much appreciated.

pschatz100

Guru
Phil2112,
Thank you for your suggestion. I tried the steps you suggested but no go. I also tried below approach. But I have now deleted all remnants of Plex, including jail storages for Plex. I guess I have to restart from crash again. It just takes time which I have in between jobs. Not being a database administrator however, I am kinda walking slowly. Thanks again.

nightshade00013
& pschatz100
I also tried your method but FreeNAS seems to stall halfway. As I mentioned to phil above, I decided to go back to rebuild Plex from crash. Maybe cleaner in my case.
Thank you all again for your replies and for being good netizens. Much appreciated.
Don't know what you mean by stall halfway, and I don't know what you mean by rebuild from Crash. I've never had the system crash when I was working with jails - even when I screwed up all the jail stuff (which I have done.)
Did you try creating a jail then installing Plex by hand, or are you using the plugin? It is not clear from your description.
What is your system configuration? I don't see it listed.

Do you have other jails on your system that you need to keep? If not, I would try the following:
1) Back up your previous Plex database (or else you will have to rescan all your media.)
2) Delete all your jails (you did not mention any other jails on your system.) If all the jails are gone, then destroy the jail datasets - you can do this through the GUI, but be careful you don't destroy data.
3) When all traces of jails are gone, try installing the plugin. Be patient, it might take a while if there are lots of library updates to download.

If all else fails, you can start from a fresh installation of FreeNAS. If you do this, be certain to have a current backup of your configuration.

FNSeeker

Dabbler
Don't know what you mean by stall halfway, and I don't know what you mean by rebuild from Crash. I've never had the system crash when I was working with jails - even when I screwed up all the jail stuff (which I have done.)
Did you try creating a jail then installing Plex by hand, or are you using the plugin? It is not clear from your description.
What is your system configuration? I don't see it listed......

The reinstallation of Plex seemed to stall halfway. It took a couple of minutes to pass each percentage point and I strongly suspect it was not right, while other parts of FreeNAS were working fine. That led me to cancel the installation via Plugin. I then tried by creating jail as per your suggestion but, perhaps, due to my lack of knowledge in this area, I could not get it to work. In the end, I deleted all remnants with Plex including all associated storages and was able to reinstall Plex, although it did take an awful long time to complete this way.

Plex is now working though, after a lengthy rebuild of database of my collection. I will however reinstall FreeNAS from crash again sometime in the next two weeks to give it a clean install as my moves 1) from 9.10 to 10, 2) back down to 9.10 and 3) to 11 may have messed up some components that affects the Plex installation.

I thank you again for being helpful. Wishing you a good day.

pschatz100

Guru
Glad you got it working. I don't use the plugin any more, but I remember that occasionally it would take a very long time to install. Patience can be your friend in a situation like this.

You should not have had to rebuild your Plex database from scratch. I suggest you learn how to back up your database and what steps to take in order to restore it. This is discussed in the Plex forums.

By the way, you still have not provided a description of your server.

FNSeeker

Dabbler
You're right. I learned just barely enough to build and maintain the family NAS. But my strength is in networking rather than in database. Truth be told.

Your reminder forced me into having a second look at including my server info. :). I can see that it works after posting.

Thanks again. BTW, I have relatives living in Houston, Dallas having seen your location.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.