Unable to import drives following installation of TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1

trebznas

Explorer
Hi All

I have been running Freenas 9.3 on my HP Microserver with two 2TB HDD's for data storage. I have installed a new operating system drive and have installed a fresh copy of TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1. I have attempted to import the two drives in order to make them active and browsable etc but none of the options in the 'Import Drive' section work.

I can see the two drives:

/dev/ada0p1
/dev/ada0p2
/dev/ada1p1
/dev/ada1p2

I have set the Destination Path to /mnt

I have attempted to import the drives with :
USF
NTFS
MSDOSFS
EXT2FS

All of these options fails with errors.

Can you advise?

Prior to installing TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1 the drives were working Ok. Freenas 9.3 has been fine on this server since it's release.

Alecmascot

Guru
So the 2X2TB drives are not in a Pool ?

trebznas

Explorer
Oh hell. This is my lack of experience showing as I've not touched Freenas / Truenas since 9.3 cam out. I'm just importing the Pool and it's now shown in Truenas.

What do I do next? As I have forgotten the order of things.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the reminder about pools :smile:

trebznas

Explorer
I just added the share (Windows SMB) but I'm unable to browse to it from my Windows 10 PC. When I enter my root username and password

Username: root
Password: truenas

Windows says the username and password is incorrect.....

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You cannot use the root user for an SMB share. This is intentional. Create another user for sharing.

trebznas

Explorer
Understood. I created a new user named 'user01' gave it a password and I can now access the share via my windows PC.

Many many thanks for the help. Great forum :smile:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Windows says the username and password is incorrect.....
Patrick says the root user is not allowed, and that's correct, but it's also a fairly-recent change from previous behavior (though it was always good practice to avoid). Put differently, it was never good practice to access shares as root, but it was allowed until recently. So you quite possibly were using root under 9.3, but it's no longer valid. Sounds like you're on the right track.