Unable to download Movie and TV Shows Metadata

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisjrodz

Dabbler
Hello,

I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past 2 - 3 weeks to understand why I can't download metadata for my Movie and TV Library. Music metadata downloads fine. The media scanner is able to read the files and directories so I don't think it is a permission issue. The permissions on my directories are 755; the owner and group is root and wheel respectively. The permissions on files are 644; the owner and group is root and wheel respectively.

I am running Freenas version 9.1.1 and the plex plugin is version 0.9.8.14.263. I've attached extracts of the media scanner log to see if anyone could give me some ideas what the issue might be.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• Plex_movie_scanr_log.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 375
  • Plex_tv_scanr_log.txt
    15.3 KB · Views: 414

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you setup the jail gateway?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hello,

I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past 2 - 3 weeks to understand why I can't download metadata for my Movie and TV Library. Music metadata downloads fine. The media scanner is able to read the files and directories so I don't think it is a permission issue. The permissions on my directories are 755; the owner and group is root and wheel respectively. The permissions on files are 644; the owner and group is root and wheel respectively.

I am running Freenas version 9.1.1 and the plex plugin is version 0.9.8.14.263. I've attached extracts of the media scanner log to see if anyone could give me some ideas what the issue might be.

Thanks in advance,

I assume Plex is running as a user different then 'root'. Because directories are 755..
the owner 'root' can (7=4+2+1), (4) read files in the directory, (2) write files in the directories, (1) execute files in the directory.
'wheel' group members can (5=4+1) read and execute
any other members can (5=4+1) read and execute

I recommend figuring out who you want to own the directories, or adjusting permission levels.

krisjrodz

Dabbler
These permissions are what worked to enable Plex to read the directories and files. I would like to be more secure but I don't know how the permissions and owner should ideally be defined. Any suggestions would help. I assume plex is running as root, if not what user does Plex run as?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well one thing I can tell you is to clean up your video library file names. I can tell you are stealing probably all your movies which is a crime so don't advertise it. Use just the move name and year plus file extension. Don't know if that would fix the issue. The TV shows look similar too, maybe cleaning those up would help but I'm not sure.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
These permissions are what worked to enable Plex to read the directories and files. I would like to be more secure but I don't know how the permissions and owner should ideally be defined. Any suggestions would help. I assume plex is running as root, if not what user does Plex run as?

Like I said earlier, 755/644 allows any user to (4) read the files. Lookup Unix permission if you want more clarification.

You assume wrong, it's not running as 'root'. Looks like it's running as the 'plex' user, UID=972

joeschmuck

Old Man
My plex is running under user plex without any issue. It's a basic default setup plus adding the gateway and media shares. I've never had to change permissions to make Plex work on my system. I'm not certain the OP's problem is permission related but if he/she wants to go down that path, well I'm not going to put on the brakes.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
My plex is running under user plex without any issue. It's a basic default setup plus adding the gateway and media shares. I've never had to change permissions to make Plex work on my system. I'm not certain the OP's problem is permission related but if he/she wants to go down that path, well I'm not going to put on the brakes.

It is permission related. root:wheel, 755, means no one but root can write in that directory.

joeschmuck

Old Man
My media dataset is 777 so maybe that is the difference.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

joeschmuck

Old Man
I did that intentionally when I created the dataset because I wanted anyone who could access my NAS to be able to add/rename/delete into that share. Since it's on my LAN at home, no one but family would be getting to it which meant me really. The wife and daughter don't mess around with that stuff much and have no means to do anything but play the media content through streaming devices.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I did that intentionally when I created the dataset because I wanted anyone who could access my NAS to be able to add/rename/delete into that share. Since it's on my LAN at home, no one but family would be getting to it which meant me really. The wife and daughter don't mess around with that stuff much and have no means to do anything but play the media content through streaming devices.

I meant system users not your family members. If you protect your files at the share level, or make sure to have snapshots, or they're public files then in my opinion 777 is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.