Unable to delete snapshot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusky

Dabbler
I get the error below

Code:
cannot destroy 'SlothJail/SlothJail/.warden-template-pluginjail-11.0-x64-20180212145520@clean': snapshot has dependent clones use '-R' to destroy the following datasets: SlothJail/SlothJail/plexmediaserver_1

PhilipS

Contributor
Error message tells you the problem. You have a clone of that snapshot - the snapshot can NEVER be deleted without destroying the clone dataset. You could send/receive the cloned dataset into a new dataset and then you could destroy the old dataset and snapshot if you really wanted to go to the effort.

Rusky

Dabbler
Not worth the effort I guess but I don't see anything listed under the list of snapshots

So I take it this has to be resolved through shell

PhilipS

Contributor
It's no big deal unless the cloned data has diverged a lot from the snapshot it came from, whereas the snapshot is taking up a lot of needed space. Unfortunately the only fix is to destroy the cloned dataset - so you need to make a copy of it (zfs send/receive) to keep it - and if you are low on space, then it can be a catch-22.

This can all be done from the UI by leveraging replication, but the shell is arguably easier and faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.