Unable to delete because files in use (SMB on OS X)

John45622

Contributor
Hi,

I've been having this issue since FreeNas and it still happens on TN13. When trying to delete a folder containing a couple of hundred items OS X will open a progress bar for the operation then go through them and then throw up an error that says something like "can not delete because files are in use". Obviously none of them are ever in use when this happens.
The only way to delete the folder is to open it, select all the files in there and delete those. Which usually takes for eeeeeever. Sometimes they ar deleted at a pace of 1 file per second or 3 seconds. Only then I am able to delete the parent folder.

It can literally take days to delete large project folders.

I tried every OS from Mojave to the current Monterey with no difference. I also tested this with various dataset presets (SMB/AFP dataset, multi-user time machine etc.) makes no difference.

Is this normal? Is anyone here able to delete a folder that contains a ton of files via OSX and SMB?

What's also weird is that it takes about 5 Minutes to copy 300 small files (1GB) to the server but 3 minutes to copy a 14GB QT file is this normal?

Many thanks!

P.S.: I don't have any AUX parameters set. The datasets are all at default settings. And I have full read/write permissions on these volumes.

Glorious1

Guru
I get a similar problem using AFP on MacOS. Even deleting files directly (not a folder of them) I get that error often. If I eject the share, then remount it, I can delete the files.