Unable to clear IP address in default network interface while creating bridge for VM

CRS10114

Cadet
I tried following this guide verbatim, but I am unable to remove the IP address from the default network interface as is done in the guide.

It is removed in the wizard, but once it saves and I close the wizard, the IP address remains and no prompt for network changes comes up.

Running 23.10.1.3. Please let me know if you need any further information.

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
Have you been through the tutorial on the TrueNAS docs site?

CRS10114

Cadet
Yes, I went through that as well and it didn't help. Turns out I had to delete my apps, as they were given access to the default interface, so TrueNAS blocked the change. I was only able to figure that out by viewing the console, which gave me an error when trying to remove the IP address. All worked out in the end.

Seb_mtl

Cadet
Hello,

So i had the same issue as you. I was trying the create the bridge but since the IP is already used in the Apps > Settings > Advanced settings tab, I was not capable to remove the alias (assigned IP address) of my eth0 interface.

I'm running Truenas scale Cobia (23.10.1.3).

Here is what i found to be working in my case:

Step0: Stop all apps and VMs
also it might be better to have a monitor on your server just in case...

Step1: Create a dummy vlan
In Truenas GUI, Network > Interfaces > Add
  1. Type: VLAN
  2. Name: vlan0 (or whatever number you have available)
  3. i did have DHCP and Autoconfigure IPv6 unchecked
  4. Parent interface: use your main ethernet interface, enp3s0: eth0 in my case
  5. VLAN Tag: I put 1
  6. Add an alias: Use an IP address with a different subnet than your parent interface (in my case i used 192.168.110.110, since my main interface is 192.168.100.110)
  7. Save!
Then test + save your changes in the Network tab.

Step2: Assign this created dummy subnet to your Apps Node IP
In Apps > Settings > Advanced settings (top right corner)
  1. Select the new dummy IP of the VLAN as Node IP (192.168.110.110 in my case)
  2. Save the changes

Step3: Follow the Guide

Since the IP address of your physical interface is not assigned anymore as the Apps Node IP, you will be capable to remove it from your physical interface aliases list, and you should be capable to create the bridge as described.

Step4: Reassign the Apps node IP to the bridge IP
Basically revert Step2. Note that i did not assign any Route v4 interface in my case.

Step5: Remove the dummy VLAN created step1
in my case the VLAN interface was just created to trick the system, so i removed it, and normally you could too. Test + save changes

Step6: Restart apps and VMs

Myself, after properly assigning the bridge to my VM NIC, i am capable to ping my NAS from the VM.

I hope this helps someone some day!

RSergeyRA

Cadet
Hello,

So i had the same issue as you. I was trying the create the bridge but since the IP is already used in the Apps > Settings > Advanced settings tab, I was not capable to remove the alias (assigned IP address) of my eth0 interface.

I'm running Truenas scale Cobia (23.10.1.3).

Here is what i found to be working in my case:

Step0: Stop all apps and VMs
also it might be better to have a monitor on your server just in case...

Step1: Create a dummy vlan
In Truenas GUI, Network > Interfaces > Add
  1. Type: VLAN
  2. Name: vlan0 (or whatever number you have available)
  3. i did have DHCP and Autoconfigure IPv6 unchecked
  4. Parent interface: use your main ethernet interface, enp3s0: eth0 in my case
  5. VLAN Tag: I put 1
  6. Add an alias: Use an IP address with a different subnet than your parent interface (in my case i used 192.168.110.110, since my main interface is 192.168.100.110)
  7. Save!
Then test + save your changes in the Network tab.

Step2: Assign this created dummy subnet to your Apps Node IP
In Apps > Settings > Advanced settings (top right corner)
  1. Select the new dummy IP of the VLAN as Node IP (192.168.110.110 in my case)
  2. Save the changes

Step3: Follow the Guide

Since the IP address of your physical interface is not assigned anymore as the Apps Node IP, you will be capable to remove it from your physical interface aliases list, and you should be capable to create the bridge as described.

Step4: Reassign the Apps node IP to the bridge IP
Basically revert Step2. Note that i did not assign any Route v4 interface in my case.

Step5: Remove the dummy VLAN created step1
in my case the VLAN interface was just created to trick the system, so i removed it, and normally you could too. Test + save changes

Step6: Restart apps and VMs

Myself, after properly assigning the bridge to my VM NIC, i am capable to ping my NAS from the VM.

I hope this helps someone some day!
Hi. Please help me. Your instruction works for me only up to the point of removing the IP from the network card, but when I throw the IP on the bridge, the test does not pass. At the same time, I tried removing the VLAN before testing and without removing the VLAN. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screen 1.png
    Screen 1.png
    668.9 KB · Views: 51