Unable to burn ISO to USB Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanix

Dabbler
Hi,

I've really been struggling to get this working. I'm trying to "burn" the ISO image to a USB Stick, so that I can boot the USB and install FreeNAS onto a SSD drive. My NAS PC doesn't have a CD-ROM, so I need to install from USB. I've only managed to install FreeNAS on the USB drive itself, which allows me to run FreeNAS from the USB drive, but I dont want to do that, I want to rather install it to my SSD drive. I'm using the following image: FreeNAS 9.1.1 (64-bit)

http://iso.cdn.freenas.org/9.1.1/RELEASE/x64/FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64.iso

I followed the following guide, but I think that is for when you wish to run FreeNAS from the USB drive.

I'm using a mac, but also have access to a Windows system incase I need to use tools to burn the ISO image. Any links to how-to's would be appreciated

Thanks

fanix

Dabbler
I followed the following instructions on how to burn an ISO to USB in OS X

Instructions:

1.Download the .iso file. This also can be an .img file or a .dmg file
2.Rename the .iso file to .dmg.
3.Right-click on the .dmg file and select Get Info. Write down the full path name as mentioned in the dialog box. We will need that for step 9.
4.Start a Terminal window. The Terminal application is located in the folder /Applications/Utilities/ of your Macintosh HD volume.
5.In the Terminal window, type:
diskutil list
and press the Enter key. Now a list of your storage devices is displayed in the Terminal window, underneath what you typed earlier.
6.Put the USB stick in the USB port of your Mac.
7.In the Terminal window, type again:
diskutil list
and press the Enter key. Now you see the same list, but with an extra storage device. The location of that device has the format /dev/diskN, where N is a number. In my case it was /dev/disk1. Write that down.
8.In Terminal, type
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN
and press the Enter key. Use the N from step 7. This will unmount the USB stick (it will disappear from your desktop).
9.In Terminal, type
sudo dd if=/path/to/file.dmg of=/dev/diskN bs=1m
and press the Enter key, where /path/to/file.dmg is the full path from step 3, and /dev/diskN from step 7. You will be asked to enter a password. This is why you must be logged in as an administrator, a non-administrator does not have to privileges to perform this operation. This operation takes quite a while (seconds in my case). Be patient and let it do its thing.
10.In Terminal, type
diskutil eject /dev/diskN
and press the Enter key. Again N is the number we established in step 7.

fanix

Dabbler
After the procedure above, diskutil shows the following. I dont think this is correct, as there is no MBR?

> diskutil list

/dev/disk2
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: CDROM *4.1 GB disk2

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What benefit do you feel you are going to get from installing to ssd as opposed to USB?

fanix

Dabbler
I have a spare SSD drive which is just lying around. I'll use the free disk space on the SSD for jails etc. I dont see the point in having a USB stick connected, and then having the SSD separately as a pool to install the jails on. Easier just to install FreeNAS on the SSD, and use the free space of jails, eliminating the annoying USB stick at the back.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have a spare SSD drive which is just lying around. I'll use the free disk space on the SSD for jails etc. I dont see the point in having a USB stick connected, and then having the SSD separately as a pool to install the jails on. Easier just to install FreeNAS on the SSD, and use the free space of jails, eliminating the annoying USB stick at the back.
You obviously haven't done your homework.

There is no available space on the os drive. Period.

fanix

Dabbler
You obviously haven't done your homework.

There is no available space on the os drive. Period.

Urgg.... I thought that was only the case when booting FreeNAS of a USB Drive (Being READ-ONLY)
So you saying it will behave the same way? Well in that case, using a USB drive is best.

Thanks for clearing this up.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Yes, there are many many many posts in these forums discussing 'wasted' space on the OS drive. It wouldn't matter if you were installing to SSD, HDD, USB, / becomes R/O. This is by design, and not a problem. Just run it from USB (hint, there are many ways to install your USB internally if it bothers you sticking out of the back), and use the SSD as another pool to host your jails.

fanix

Dabbler
Thanks, I assumed the read-only partition was because of the USB drive.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.