Umask for BTSync or Syncthing permissions on Freenas 9.10.U2 - Still deciding between the two...

Status
Not open for further replies.

V.R

Cadet
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to setup a sync between my servers, love freenas, BTSync seems to perform a lot better on Freenas than Syncthing although I like supporting opensource :), if anyone has performance recommendations, I'm not a great scripter, more of a hardware guy, I know my way around Ubuntu, from what I understand I need to enter in the startup script for either btsync or syncthing "umask 000" (I want 777 permissions on my shares), I just don't know where to find these scripts if someone can guide me, and also put "ignore permissions" in the gui, correct? If there's anything else I need to mess around with in Freenas please do thell, I keep getting 644 permissions on files and 755 I guess this default with 823 user group on syncthing... also if anyone can give any tips on how to increase performance on syncthing... rgds... VR

V.R

Cadet
Actually I went back to BTSync, syncthing is very unstable on my system... so if someone can direct me to the startup script for btsync so I can set the umask or instructions how to set btsync to set file permissions to 777 on freenas, would be much appreciated :))) rgds

V.R

Cadet
actually I found some old thread I edited /etc/login.conf and recompiled the db for btsync, I will retry it now...

V.R

Cadet
permissions are still 644 :(((( any help would be appreciated...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

V.R

Cadet
sorry, resilio, I keep calling it btsync... this still works with the latest pbi? I saw something with the login.conf file, that's not accurate?

rgds

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
sorry, resilio, I keep calling it btsync... this still works with the latest pbi? I saw something with the login.conf file, that's not accurate?

rgds
I don't think the login.conf is used by programs executed by freebsd's init system. but I could be wrong.

V.R

Cadet
I didnt update, i tried corral but saw the support issue and went back to 9.10, i'm not great at scripting, using syncthing, not btsync, i just want to have 777 permissions (the older versions of syncthing used to have it),
i set dataset to 777, enabled "ignore file permissions" in syncthing, i made a syncthing user and did solution 1-4 from: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/
(i did not change user as I need everybody to have r/w access), anyway it doesnt matter, i did a sync below and the following file comes:
-rw-r--r-- 1 syncthing nogroup 19 May 7 20:34 test.txt

from everything i read i need to change the umask, and it seems the way freenas is setup, it has to be a 2 step process as Fracai solved for btsync, is it possible to get a script written to do this? I would appreciate it Joshua, i'm not much of scripter... :)

Rgds
Vuk

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I didnt update, i tried corral but saw the support issue and went back to 9.10, i'm not great at scripting, using syncthing, not btsync, i just want to have 777 permissions (the older versions of syncthing used to have it),
i set dataset to 777, enabled "ignore file permissions" in syncthing, i made a syncthing user and did solution 1-4 from: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/
(i did not change user as I need everybody to have r/w access), anyway it doesnt matter, i did a sync below and the following file comes:
-rw-r--r-- 1 syncthing nogroup 19 May 7 20:34 test.txt

from everything i read i need to change the umask, and it seems the way freenas is setup, it has to be a 2 step process as Fracai solved for btsync, is it possible to get a script written to do this? I would appreciate it Joshua, i'm not much of scripter... :)

Rgds
Vuk
Why are you saying you used solution 1-4. You should pick only one and implement it.

* I would first see if it works by just editing /usr/local/etc/rc.d/syncthing
- add the below line in the syncthing_startprecmd() function
"umask 000"
Then try restarting syncthing and see what permission level it writes with.

Status
Not open for further replies.