SOLVED UI is importing my zfs at /mnt/mnt/name instead of /mnt/name

Eragon615

Cadet
Hello everyone, I've just finished installing TrueNAS Scale and I'm trying to import an existing zfs from my previous installation (which was Ubuntu). When using the UI, it's mounting the zfs at /mnt/mnt/dofus (the name of my zfs). I also get errors about not being able to create NFS shares for all of the datasets in it. This causes it to fail to show up in the UI. I can do a zpool export dofus, zfs set mountpoint=/mnt/dofus dofus, and then zpool import dofus which mounts it correctly, but it still doesn't show in the UI.

I did read a few others had a similar issue, but I tried what was listed in there posts, such as reimporting it in the UI after setting the mount point, but it always ends up at /mnt/mnt/dofus and breaking. Any advice?

Eragon615

Cadet
Well, I should have messed with it more. I decided to mount it in the shell (sorry, import it) then did zfs set sharenfs=off dofus and every possible dataset in it. Then trying to use the UI did actually import it, but it still is mounting it at /mnt/mnt. But at least stuff is working. So there's that.

Arwen

MVP
Export the pool from the command line, then import the pool from the GUI. That should solve the problem.

Note that certain things are not saved when modified from the command. But, the pool mount point is saved, in the pool's top level dataset attributes.

Eragon615

Cadet
Unfortunately, that didn't work. Like I said, I had seen that suggestion in other posts, but sadly it still put it at /mnt/mnt/dofus. The good news is that I did figure it out after tinkering with it all night. It seems like TrueNAS has an implied /mnt mountpoint. By using zfs set mountpoint=/dofus dofus and excluding the /mnt, then exporting and reimporting in the UI, that finally worked. All is well and now I'm studying how to do CAC authentication and custom containers. Thanks for the response, I'm glad to see the community is active here.

Arwen

MVP
Glad you figured it out.

In my TrueNAS SCALE instance, the mount point was listed as "/mnt/POOL". So I don't know why yours would be different.