can't share /mnt/home/<user>

Status
Not open for further replies.

McZ

Cadet
Why can't I share /mnt/home/mcz folder through the UI? it says it doesn't belong to the pool (/mnt/zpool1) which is annoying I have manually created /mnt/home (zpool1/home) thus the FreeNAS8 GUI database doesn't know about it and I can't share it through the gui...

I wish I could build NanoBSD with Samba myself and do everything through SSH.. but I failed when I tried.

EDIT: can I export my zpool1 and factory reset my NAS config and reboot then import my zpool1 and get correct mountpoints for my zpool1? (or just "hack" the config to remove all knowledge about my zpool1 config then export the zpool1 in ssh and then auto import in the gui)

ProtoSD

MVP
There's no need to hack it, if you do things correctly it works perfectly.

If your pool is "zpool1" then by default the mountpoint will be "/mnt/zpool1" and "home" will be "/mnt/zpool1/home" not "/mnt/home".

Changes that you make from the command line (ssh) are not recognized by the GUI.

If you spend some time reading the docs, you'll spend less time trying to figure out problems that aren't really problems.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/CIFS_Shares#Configuring_Local_User_Access

There's links to more documentation in my signature below.

McZ

Cadet
I want to have zpool1/home mounted on /home (zfs create -o mountpoint=/home zpool1/home) but FreeNAS 8 force it into /mnt/home and it doesn't show up in the GUI..
Creating the zpool1/home from the GUI will as you say force it into /mnt/zpool1/home.. I don't want to be forced into doing stuff others like, I can't see why there is no mountpoint field in the GUI

The new FreeNAS 8 GUI is awesome I really do like it compared to the old. But if the GUI and the command line doesn't cooperate it fails in working perfect IMO.

CLI only > GUI only.. back to hacking the GUI database, or try to build NanoBSD again..

ProtoSD

MVP
Yeah, really sorry about all the duplicate posts. I don't know what causes it, but it just happens randomly and is pretty annoying. Anyway, they're gone now...

Status
Not open for further replies.