uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished

ZzAsh92zZ

Cadet
Hello

I'm trying to install truenas from a usb but I'm getting this poping up and I can't really do anything.
I've actually installed it before from the same usb, although it has been reformatted since then, and it worked fine.
I've also put ubuntu on the usb and tried installing that and ubuntu works fine so I don't think the usb is broken. I also installed ubuntu by plugging the usb into the same usb port so I know that port is working fine too.

I'm kind of confused as to what this error actually means to be honest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0365_small.JPG
    DSC_0365_small.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 188

lorinom

Cadet
I am having the same problem on a new install. Is there a solution to fix this problem?

lorinom

Cadet
I don't understand what you mean. I have a tower PC with all brand new SSDs that are recognized in the BIOS. I'm installing TrueNas Core via a bootable USB device using the provided ISO file. As soon as the installation program loads I get the error message that repeats indefinitely. Is this a bios setting problem?

lorinom

Cadet
BTW, I called TrueNAS customer support and apparently they only provide tech support at the enterprise level and not for individual installs. I've searched this forum and there are several who have reported this exact issue, but no one has posted a solution that I've seen. This is the first time I'm using TrueNAS....so far I'm not impressed. Can't seem to even install it...let alone use it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't understand what you mean. I have a tower PC with all brand new SSDs that are recognized in the BIOS. I'm installing TrueNas Core via a bootable USB device using the provided ISO file. As soon as the installation program loads I get the error message that repeats indefinitely. Is this a bios setting problem?

Probably not. With USB, it's probably a your-PC-is-crappy problem, or your-USB-key-is-crappy problem, or quite possibly a combination of the two. Lots of PC hardware isn't all that well supported and has only been tested to work under Windows. You might try TrueNAS Scale, which is based on a Linux kernel, which sometimes supports janky hardware better.

BTW, I called TrueNAS customer support and apparently they only provide tech support at the enterprise level and not for individual installs.

You see the word "customer" in there? You're not a customer. You've downloaded a free version that they're giving away. They're not going to be able to make it work on every possible combination of janky PC hardware, and, I promise you, they haven't really tried to, because their goal is to write a system for the hardware that they sell. Therefore, thousands of hours have been put into figuring out recommended hardware and putting that info here on the forums, so that you can enjoy success. Please make use of them. Some of us have worked long and hard to make this viable.

so far I'm not impressed.

That's fine. I'm not impressed that you couldn't be bothered to read the reams of resources available that are designed to help you succeed. Such attitude. iXsystems has made this freely available, and you're "not impressed"?

ZzAsh92zZ

Cadet
Hey, I fixed the problem by doing this.
Go to the shell (number 2)
Then enter this command: sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10
Reboot and this fixed my problem

lorinom

Cadet
Probably not. With USB, it's probably a your-PC-is-crappy problem, or your-USB-key-is-crappy problem, or quite possibly a combination of the two. Lots of PC hardware isn't all that well supported and has only been tested to work under Windows. You might try TrueNAS Scale, which is based on a Linux kernel, which sometimes supports janky hardware better.

You see the word "customer" in there? You're not a customer. You've downloaded a free version that they're giving away. They're not going to be able to make it work on every possible combination of janky PC hardware, and, I promise you, they haven't really tried to, because their goal is to write a system for the hardware that they sell. Therefore, thousands of hours have been put into figuring out recommended hardware and putting that info here on the forums, so that you can enjoy success. Please make use of them. Some of us have worked long and hard to make this viable.

That's fine. I'm not impressed that you couldn't be bothered to read the reams of resources available that are designed to help you succeed. Such attitude. iXsystems has made this freely available, and you're "not impressed"?

lorinom

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I just tried installing Scale and did not have any better luck. Similar issue, but different error message. With scale, as soon as it boots off the USB ISO installation file I get "usb2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?" Which is strange since other than the mouse and keyboard I'm not using any USB devices.

With regard your point about free software, you assume I want to to use the free version. I'm happy to purchase a paid version of TrueNAS and purchase tech support with it. If there is a way to do so, please advise. I have high-end hardware with an array of brand new SSDs, so I don't need to purchase their servers.

Thanks again for the help!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
With regard your point about free software, you assume I want to to use the free version. I'm happy to purchase a paid version of TrueNAS and purchase tech support with it. If there is a way to do so, please advise. I have high-end hardware with an array of brand new SSDs, so I don't need to purchase their servers.

They're selling servers. You get TrueNAS Enterprise by buying a TrueNAS Enterprise server. That's how development is funded. They are not interested in selling TrueNAS to run on your own hardware, because it's a support nightmare. With their hardware, they know it like the back of their hand, and it works spectacularly because of it. That's why most of the forum suggestions are geared towards hardware that resembles what they're selling.