UFS snapshot

Status
Not open for further replies.

amnixed

Cadet
Hello FreeNASers,

I have installed FreeNAS-9.2.1.2-RELEASE-x64 (002022c) on an old system which has only 1 GB RAM.

I created the UFS volume /mnt/vol0 using 2 320 GB hard drives with gmirror.

I'd like to create some UFS snapshots, but the "Volume/Dataset" drop down menu does not show the volume I have created, even though under "Active Volumes" it is displayed as healthy.

I suppose I'm overlooking something trivial - would you please advise?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Gee.. you have 1/2 the minimum RAM for FreeNAS. Any wonder why you might be having problems?

Please upgrade to the minimum 2GB of RAM and see if the issue persists before reporting back. ;)

amnixed

Cadet
Gee.. you have 1/2 the minimum RAM for FreeNAS. Any wonder why you might be having problems?

Please upgrade to the minimum 2GB of RAM and see if the issue persists before reporting back. ;)

So, the minimum requirement is 2 GB RAM even with UFS?

I did read the hardware requirements and I understand that ZFS needs RAM. The purpose of this system is experimentation at home :)

I should note though that I could make a snapshot of / using mksnap_ffs.

So, would I be correct to think that it is a script employed by the web interface which checks for the amount of RAM and if it is found to be under some threshold, the "Volume/Dataset" drop down menu does not get populated?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The hardware requirements say 2GB of RAM for UFS.. and have for years...

The problem is that, based on user feedback, 2GB of RAM is the minimum amount of RAM necessary to keep the system stable. Without 2GB of RAM weird things go wrong that make no sense. You don't get "out of RAM" messages on the GUI, you just have incomplete fields, stuff missing, errors when loading pages, etc. This is discussed in the hardware requirements section of the manual. ;)

Now, there's always the possiblity that your problem is NOT related to RAM, but the RAM problem is so frequent that nobody here and none of the devs will really even spend any time helping you until you meet the minimum requirements. They've gone on enough wild goose chases that it's just not worth their effort anymore.

Note: UFS support is gone. No more FreeNAS versions will include UFS support, nor will any more x86 builds be released. So you are welcome to experiment with stuff in UFS and on x86, but realize that many features don't work on UFS and you are literally using a dead end platform. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.