Ubuntu / Freenas Mapped Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterbata

Dabbler
Hello all. I am new to both Freenas and Linux in general. I have setup freenas and am finding it to be very useful. So far however, I have been accessing it from a Windows environment. I would like to accomplish the following and would appreciate your assistance:

1) I have already installed Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop as a VM in Virtualbox
2) I have created my user account during install (I unserstand that the root account is hidden)
3) Would like to access the drive(s) on my freenas machine. (192.168.0.30)
4) Would like that I re-connect to the freenas drive(s) automatically upon reboot / re-entry into Ubuntu
5) Want full permission to the freenas drive(s). Create / Modify / Save / Delete / Rename / Move etc.. files.

Your help or pointing me to a How-To would be awesome.

Thank you very much

Peter

Stephens

Patron
The tech guys will point out to you FreeNAS runs on FreeBSD (nanoBSD) not Linux. They're both *NIX variants, but not the same (FreeBSD isn't a distro of Linux). You may or may not know that, but it's best to get it cleared up.

Anyway, most of what you're asking has to do with setting up Ubuntu, not FreeNAS. The only thing that'll apply to FreeNAS is deciding which protocol you want to use for communication (CIFS, NFS, etc.) and setting up permissions and enabling the service under freenas. I know in an Windows environment using CIFS, I never have to authenticate. If you're the only user on your network, you can just give "Other" full accesss.

Make sure you read the FreeNAS documentation, FreeNAS FAQ, ProtoSD FAQ, and noobsauce80's ZFS primer.

peterbata

Dabbler
Thank you so much for the prompt reply Stephens. Great info as well. I have already set up the shares as NFS and have enabled CIFS. Worls like a charm from my Windows 7 machine. So, I guess it's off to the Ubuntu forums then. Have a good one. Peter

The tech guys will point out to you FreeNAS runs on FreeBSD (nanoBSD) not Linux. They're both *NIX variants, but not the same (FreeBSD isn't a distro of Linux). You may or may not know that, but it's best to get it cleared up.

Anyway, most of what you're asking has to do with setting up Ubuntu, not FreeNAS. The only thing that'll apply to FreeNAS is deciding which protocol you want to use for communication (CIFS, NFS, etc.) and setting up permissions and enabling the service under freenas. I know in an Windows environment using CIFS, I never have to authenticate. If you're the only user on your network, you can just give "Other" full accesss.

Make sure you read the FreeNAS documentation, FreeNAS FAQ, ProtoSD FAQ, and noobsauce80's ZFS primer.

peterbata

Dabbler
After much time spent bouncing around from one forum to the next, I was finally able to answer my own question(s) thanks to my best friend "Google Search". I am now able to start up Ubuntu v.12.x with drives permanently mapped to Freenas. So, without further adieu, here is the very helpful post that I came across in my quest for a solution. Just scroll down to the heading "Permanent Mount" Thank you dmizer.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534

Status
Not open for further replies.