Two raid configurations or one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidhogg

Dabbler
Hello,
I currently have a NAS operating with two WD RE4 1TB discs using a Rsync configuration for backup.
Now I want to expand my discs.
Im thinking of buying 6 WD RED 3TB discs, and I am gonna use 2 for pure Backup purposes (photos, music etc)
and 4 for other stuff I want to access from all my computers, semi-important stuff.
Im thinking of using this setup:

Disc 1 will used for the most important data, and disc 2 will be used with Rsync as a pure replica of the first.
I am also thinking of buying a third, external disc and place somewhere else for off-site backup.
That way I can loose 1 or even 2 discs and still have a backup.

Disc 3-6 will be used with Raid 5. These will be used for semi-important stuff that I can loose a part of
in case of disc failure, but I don´t want to loose everything.
Should I go for raid 5 here, or should I choose raid 6 instead for increased security, even tho I loose
an additional disc?

OR, should I just go raid 6 across the board for all 6 drives, and create two seperate volumes and just Rsync
the one with the important stuff on it?
3 TB is a little bit overkill for the most importan backup, 2 should be enough so then I should have 10
available for the semi-important stuff, giving me 1 TB more then the raid 6 solution with 4 3TB discs.
Also, is it possible to select the exact size of the volumes from a raid 6 configuration?

I havent used raid in FreeNAS som I´m not even sure if this is possible with volumes alone, please correct me if so.

Any suggestions and/or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.