3 degraded disks in a few weeks ?? reason ??

freddymcwilliam

Dabbler
Hello,

I have a FreeNAS box purcahsed direct form IX systems.

It runs has 4 WD pro drives Raid 10 formation (ZFS, mirrored V devs).

2 weeks ago I had my first degraded pool. Replaced the damaged disc with another WD red pro, no big deal.

Today I notice the drive is degraded again, and this time it is two drives that have failed. Luckily it is right two, so the pool still works. But one of the discs that has failed is the same one I replaced just 2 weeks ago.

Is it true that my drives failed, or do I need to do more tests to find out what is going on? or should I just replace the drives??

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
one of the discs that has failed is the same one I replaced just 2 weeks ago.
Did you run the burn-in process on it?

Is it true that my drives failed, or do I need to do more tests to find out what is going on? or should I just replace the drives??
Have you looked at the SMART data?
smartctl -a /dev/daX (or adaX, with X replaced with appropriate numbers)

Were the disks all the same age?

Were they all installed in the pool at the same time?

How are the environmental conditions of the disks (temperature/airflow)?

There's a good chance that those drives are all in their failure window (maybe 4 years+ old) and have had identical amounts of load and heat, so it's not impossible that they are all failing at the same time.

There's also the possibilty (depending on what SMART is telling you) that it's actually your controller that's failing.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Definitely need to find out what is going on. You should not have this many drive failures. I have had one drive with one bad sector in the past (almost) two years. Some drives are not as good as others, but there must be a reason. I would first look at the temperatures, as sretalla mentioned.
As I recall, that four drive chassis that iXsystems sells does not have the best airflow, so if your room is hot, the drives will be way too hot and hot drives fail fast. We had a thread on here a couple years back where the FreeNAS system was living in the desert (Middle East somewhere) and the best they could do was keep it in the shade. The drives in that system were failing after around eight to ten months regularly.