I have two systems running TrueNAS-12.0-U8:
  • home
    • default theme
    • Two pools: nvmirror and redmirror
home_pools.png

• offsite
    • dark theme
    • Two pools: bluemirror and evomirror
I have a single replication task to replicate multiple datasets from both pools on home to the bluemirror pool on offsite:
home_replication.png

The thing that I don't understand is that the three datasets on redmirror replicate as datasets under bluemirror, but the singe dataset on nvmirror gets replicated as a subset of of another dataset, named for its originating pool:
offsite_pools.png

Why this difference in behaviour?

clarknova

Explorer
Ok, so apparently now I have a 'redmirror' dataset inside the 'bluemirror' pool on the off-site machine, much like the 'nvmirror' dataset:

offsite_datasets.png

Unless I'm remembering wrong, the only modification I made to the replication task before running the latest replication (which is only partially complete as I write this) was to add 'nvmirror/esxi' to the source field on the replication task. Somehow this caused both the redmirror and the nvmirror datasets to replicate below the bluemirror dataset, despite the fact the redmirror subordinate datasets were replicating directly under the bluemirror dataset prior to the addition.

I've read the documentation on snapshots and replication, but I must be misunderstanding something. Is there a reliable way to just replicate the specific datasets only to a remote pool without replicating the pool's root dataset itself?