Two client on freeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I tested the iscsi http://iscsitarget.sourceforge.net/ and I could not use two or more clients connected to it appropriately. For example... If I connect two clients and I copy files to the first, pressing F5 on the second client it doesn't show the files.
If I copy different files to both clients iscsi they don't show the files copied from the other client and if I reconnect both clients they lose some files.

The some behavior happens on FreeNas?

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually, it is "supported" if you want to call it that. The real problem is that you were probably not using a clustering file system. Without that you cannot connect two clients simultaneously without corrupting the file system.

You might want to read up on iSCSI some more. It's not a limitation of FreeNAS or the iSCSI service on FreeNAS. It's a limitation of how iSCSI works. ;)

Actually, it is "supported" if you want to call it that. The real problem is that you were probably not using a clustering file system. Without that you cannot connect two clients simultaneously without corrupting the file system.

You might want to read up on iSCSI some more. It's not a limitation of FreeNAS or the iSCSI service on FreeNAS. It's a limitation of how iSCSI works. ;)

yes, thanks for reply. By the way, do you know any other software that supports it?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That "supports" what? I don't think you understand what I said above.

The "support" of 2 clients sharing a single iSCSI target is based on the file system. If you want to go this route you need to seek out the file systems that support clustering and then figure out which OSes those use. (Hint: Windows desktop OSes do NOT support clustering at all)

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Felipe - Think of ISCSI as a hard disk. You are trying to connect a single hard disk to multiple computers. It's not going to work unless you go with a filesystem like one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems#SHARED

A better choice might be NFS, CIFS, or AFP. Or you could connect the ISCSI disk to one machine and then share it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.