(Tutorial) How To Install Plex in a FreeNAS 11.2 Jail

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hello,
Looking for help :)
My server is on but it seems it can't access the data.
My jail is set up as follows :
- source in mnt/Storage1/Medias (in this repertory the plex repertory has been created )
- Destination in jails/plex/Destination
I created a Medias group in the jail with the user plex

Freenas setup :
- plex user and group created
- Medias storage has permission 770 with group owner Medias (containing plex user)

I can add a movie in Medias repertory but not in plex one.
And permission is denied to restart the server.
Does someone knows what s not working.

Thank you,
Your Plex user in the jail is not being given read permissions for your data.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

urdel62

Explorer
Your Plex user in the jail is not being given read permissions for your data.

Thanks.
And what s the Way to give plex jail user those permissions ?
I create a Médias group (gid 1004) With the plex user
In freenas sertup i have my 1004 group Medias which is group owner of the media dataset 770. Should n That be right ? Maybe i Should try to give to media jail group permissions to my jail destination ?

In the other hand when i m trying to access data on the server it s said That no permission to access remote library
What do you think ?

Last edited:

urdel62

Explorer
Hello,
I made some improvments. I can know write movies in my plex repertory in Media repertory.
But it seems know that plex server is off. On my plex player, the server is unreachable.
And when on the shell prompt I try to restart the server with 'service plexmediaserver restart '
I get that :
upload_2017-1-12_23-12-26.png

Someone has an idea why I can't start the server.
Thankyou,

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You modified the permissions of your jail dataset. You can't do that because it breaks all your jails. Delete all jails and the dataset and start over.

urdel62

Explorer
You modified the permissions of your jail dataset. You can't do that because it breaks all your jails. Delete all jails and the dataset and start over.

OK thank you I'll do that and try to start over. Thanks fo the tip.

urdel62

Explorer

Thank you SweetandLow, I started over the installation and now it's working plex jail has access to my media folder and I can access my medias on plex player.
However ever since it's working on that side I don't see anymore the nas in my network and therefore can't add any data on it. Do you have an idea ? Maybe I should restart my nas ?
Thanks,

urdel62

Explorer

You said don't change permissions on my jail dataset. Is it OK that my folders in jail dataset have 777 permission ? Cause I don't set that ?
Thanks ,

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It's probably fine but if it was me I would have removed the entire jails dataset and started over. Just make sure it's not setup for Windows permissions.

If your Nas isn't on your network that most mean you don't have any shares configured. Set those up as it will be back.

urdel62

Explorer
It's probably fine but if it was me I would have removed the entire jails dataset and started over. Just make sure it's not setup for Windows permissions.

If your Nas isn't on your network that most mean you don't have any shares configured. Set those up as it will be back.

I started over and plex is working fine now.
Just I can access the nas folders from time to time I don't k why but I can still acess plex server in the meantime. My SMB shares seems well configured.
I don't know what I m missing.

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
Quick question here, ive just set up Plex, as far as i am aware the default group is 1001 and use is 1002.

Is there any way of changing this because the group that is 1001 is my admin group and the user in 1002 is my brother (non admin).

I am currently assuming that the only reason the media server is working and able to read the data is because its being given the same permissions as my admin group (Which has full access to the whole NAS). I am also acutely aware of the potential security flaws of having the plex jail having access to the whole NAS rather than just the media area.

Or am i mistaken and this version of plex doesnt rely on the default groups to give permission to read data from the server.

Sorry if all that makes little sense. Im just trying to work out all of it in my head.

Thanks
Spencer Skinner

EDIT - Just so your aware, i do already have a group and user specifically for the media area in the NAS, so if i can change the defualt groups etc then i can swap them to that. GID 1005 and UID 1005. Those are the media ID's and they have full control over the media are.

Last edited:

tlorek

Cadet
Thanks to Cosmo's excellent instructions, my Plex installation has been rock solid for over a year now.

Recently I decided to give back and paid for a PlexPass. How do I go about updating my current installation so that is uses the plexpass version on freshports? Or do I have to reinstall from scratch? If I have to go that route, I'm comfortable doing it but how do I go about keeping the metadata from my current non-plexpass installation?

Thanks!

adrianwi

Guru
Unless there is something you really need in the plexpass version, I'd stay with the public releases, which tend to be far more stable.

Another option is to create another jail for the plexpass version and use that for playing with the new stuff. I was running the DVR Beta in a separate jail and have just updated it to the plexpass version which now has the DVR stuff built in. My main jail is still running 1.3.3!

I am having a lot of trouble getting Plex installed.

I have tried >3 times to follow the directions present in the YouTube tutorial, including starting from a brand new USB stick and installing a brand new time and using UEFI boot.
Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DnUWTliaOY

Every time, I get "Some Error Occured" when I click the 'Service Status' button on the Installed tab of Plugins in order to launch the plex server.

I tried to manually follow the guidance in this thread, starting from the jexec (as I do not know enough about DHCP), but that didn't work either.

root@freenas ~]# jexec 4 tcsh
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # pkg update && pkg upgrade -y
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/meta.txz: No address record
repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/packagesite.txz: No address
record
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ #

I am stuck and could really use some advice.

After a couple weeks of working on this, I just managed to get this to work a few hours after I posted. Sorry all. The solution seemed to be to just ignore the above error message and keep going with the steps in this thread (vs. the YouTube video). Thanks for posting this!

Ruff.Hi

Patron
Thanks for this guide. Just updated my plex and it was finished before I could leave the room (almost).

IceBoosteR

Guru
I use it right now for 6 month. It worked so well and is easy. Thanks to your guide.
Looking forward to FreeNAS10 - in that case I need a docker container then I think...

Manitou

Cadet
Hello,

Thank you for your helpful guide, I can watch the movie normally but it has issue on the subtitle showing (Subtitles: None) even I follow the naming rule. I checked the scanner log is able to find the srt file.

This is not happen to my friend's plex which set the dataset to 777 which I not prefer to. I'm stuck on this issue for days, please somebody help me to solve this, thank you. (I tested several times, it does not related to the rights.)

Below is my setting:
dataset: /mnt/RaidZ/cartoons mount to jail: /movies

Scanner Log:
Mar 25, 2017 22:24:37.691 [0x808c06400] DEBUG - Adding file for scanner: /movies/Cloverfield Lane 2016/Cloverfield Lane 2016.zh.srt
Mar 25, 2017 22:24:37.691 [0x808c06400] DEBUG - Adding file for scanner: /movies/Cloverfield Lane 2016/Cloverfield Lane 2016.mkv

jailRight_zpsezhk2hk8.png

jailRight_zpsezhk2hk8.png

DatasetRight_zpsycfllzrf.png

subtitleNone_zpsbda5kf1c.png

Last edited:

RikkerdNL

Cadet
Hello,

Thank you for this topic, there is only 1 thing.

With: ls -l /mnt

When I add the storage according to the wiki in the jail it does not mount to /mnt/ but directly to /

This is with the latest stable version of freenas

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hello,

Thank you for this topic, there is only 1 thing.

With: ls -l /mnt

When I add the storage according to the wiki in the jail it does not mount to /mnt/ but directly to /

This is with the latest stable version of freenas
Then I think you made a little mistake with mounting the failesystem to the jail from GUI. It worked for m several times, you can mount the FS everywhere you want.

RikkerdNL

Cadet
Then I think you made a little mistake with mounting the failesystem to the jail from GUI. It worked for m several times, you can mount the FS everywhere you want.
Yes you are right, was thinking about it and I mounted it myself on / direct.