tun1 state changed to down

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlakeNagel07

Dabbler
I run openvpn on my transmission jail and it uses "tun1" as the tunnel for connections. Every couple of days I notice that transmission will not connect to anyone and realize "tun1" state has been changed to down.

MY question

Is there something i can do that when "tun1" state is changed to "down", it can automatically change back to "up"? Currently I am just restarting the jail and everything goes back to normal.

cdiddy

Dabbler
tun1 changes to down because you lost your connection with your VPN provider, for various reasons - your ISP blipped, the VPN blipped, or they just disconnect everyone every couple of days because they want to or they just can't maintain the connections, I don't know why the connection gets dropped, but this seems to me to be very common.

I set up a chron job to restart service openvpn inside jail transmission_1 every night, and that works OK sometimes but not every time, again not sure why.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...g-up-transmission-with-openvpn-and-pia.24566/
This is a very long thread. If you can make yourself find the time, what you are looking for is in there, towards the last 10 or so pages, I believe... an auto-reconnect script. Never got it working myself because I stopped paying for PIA before I finished sorting through all the muck. If you're dedicated enough to this, you can get it working with what you find in there.

BlakeNagel07

Dabbler
tun1 changes to down because you lost your connection with your VPN provider, for various reasons - your ISP blipped, the VPN blipped, or they just disconnect everyone every couple of days because they want to or they just can't maintain the connections, I don't know why the connection gets dropped, but this seems to me to be very common.

I set up a chron job to restart service openvpn inside jail transmission_1 every night, and that works OK sometimes but not every time, again not sure why.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...g-up-transmission-with-openvpn-and-pia.24566/
This is a very long thread. If you can make yourself find the time, what you are looking for is in there, towards the last 10 or so pages, I believe... an auto-reconnect script. Never got it working myself because I stopped paying for PIA before I finished sorting through all the muck. If you're dedicated enough to this, you can get it working with what you find in there.

Thank you. I ended up going the chron job route as well.

command
jexec transmission_1 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn restart

scheduled to run every 5 hours. this might be too redundant but ill see if i notice it affecting anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.