Trying to use SSH tunnel to access web GUI remotely. Worked before, broken now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey S

Dabbler
Hello. Thank you in advance for reading.

I had previously setup SSH on my freenas box. I was able to SSH in (using private/public key) and use a SOCKS proxy and firefox to access my jail's web GUIs. I haven't used it in a while and it seems to have stopped working.

I am still able to SSH into my box, but whenever I try to load anything in firefox, I get a connection was reset error message.

I had tons of trouble getting this to work the first time. I seem to remember the thing that eventually made it work for me was adding something to the ssh_config file. I thought it was something to do with TCP forwarding. I tried searching for the exact syntax. I added AllowTCPForwarding yes to the ssh_config and restarted sshd, but that didn't seem to work. I then switched from yes to all, and that didn't work either.

I am using a windows machine and putty.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks!

Joey S

Dabbler
I figured out what my problem was. I was editing the ssh_config file when I should have been editing the sshd_config file. Now I know. Thanks!

Sakuru

Guru

Zou

Dabbler
I figured out what my problem was. I was editing the ssh_config file when I should have been editing the sshd_config file. Now I know. Thanks!

How did you restart the sshd service in command line to activate the changes ?

I have the same issue (no tunneling possible with Freenas). I've uncomment the "AllowTcpForwarding yes" option to the sshd_config file but now I try restart the service.

I've tested "service sshd restart" and I got this
Code:
Performing sanity check on sshd configuration.
Stopping sshd.
Waiting for PIDS: 75857.
Performing sanity check on sshd configuration.
Starting sshd.

but my ssh session was not closed and the tunneling still don't work.

PS: I'm in vacation so I don't have physically access to my server so I try to have access the WebUI with tunneling.

Status
Not open for further replies.