TRying to get TNScale to send all external traffic via 3rd party VPN...

Krebsy

Cadet
Ok,

Probably been asked before but I'm stumped on the information out there. I'll explain the scenario then maybe someone can help me see through the fog (of my inability to google :) ).

So, one home network with wifi and hard linked switches etc.

R410 server running TNS as backup, storage and web app server.

Seperate data and SAN networks (two NIC's=2 networks :) ).

Plugged into a main switch that goes straight to the Router. (SAN is via seperate link/VLAN).

All I want to do is have the server route all its external internet traffic out via my 3rd party VPN service (Windscribe).

I can get an IKEv2, Wireguard or OpenVPN config from them but:-

1. No option for IKEv2 it seems in TRueNAS.
2. Wireguard can't load or seemingly find any configuration files, never properly deploys etc.
3. OpenVPN doesn't like the public key/Certificate pair (states they are invalid) when trying to set that all up....

I can see loads of guides online but those seem to be "Have your server run as the VPN hosting platform then clients connect to it."

All I want is to route the servers internet traffic through a VPN. :).

I have run Linux based windscribe services successfully before on Ubuntu etc, but there is no native App in the TRuecharts or other repositories I can install, nor will the OpenVPN services seem to work....

Would I need to just use the OpenVPN client and connect it to the external provider?
Would Wireguard (if I could get it to find the config files, and if so how?) be enough to route the traffic?

Could I setup a VM running Linux on the server and route all server external network traffic through it?

Struggling here for an option.

On the PC it's just "Press button and VPN activated", TNS seems far more complex (and needlessly so :( ).

Any suggestions would be great, Packages, solutions, simple options etc...

Ta,

Stu.

Krebsy

Cadet
Anyone got any ideas?

I’ve tried checking the 3rd party certificate and key which seems to show the cert is good but the key is not… :(.

Considering running an rPi as a vpn gateway and routing all the server traffic through it, but that’ll most likely cause other issues and I’ve got plenty of overhead free on the server to run a vpn jail (need a guide) or a VM to host the app.

Surely it’s simple? If traffic destination = WAN then route = vpn…..

Ta,

Stu.