Trying to get back the files - wont boot now

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizetwo

Dabbler
Greetings. A little while ago I decided to build a FreeNAS box. Its got the required specs, and it worked for a little while. Then it didnt. I dont know why, could be improper shut-down? Either way, I got it up and running again (with a new FreeNAS installation and new USB-drive), but I couldnt retrieve the files (I did get to the GUI though), and now it wont boot at all. Included is a screenshot of where it crashes during boot-up. I have come to understand that I dont have the sufficient knowledge of NAS systems to run FreeNAS, as I seem to run into issues with it. If someone can help out, or point me in the right direction to log onto the NAS Id be supremely happy.

Attachments

• freenas.jpg
    freenas.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 221
D

dlavigne

That looks like a bad USB stick. What size and model of stick are you using?

kdragon75

Wizard
You also need to tell us the steps that were taken to try and access the files.

sizetwo

Dabbler
You also need to tell us the steps that were taken to try and access the files.

Well - initially I got similar errors. I reinstalled FreeNAS on a new USB drive and got it to boot up again. When I was in the GUI I could see that there was a filesystem (Im sorry I dont have the proper terminology) on there, consisting of the apx. 5 TB of data on the NAS. I was reading the forums on how to access the data again, but I couldnt within FreeNAS. I gave up and let it just sit for a while, turned off. I thought I would give it one more shot, which is what Im doing now. Would it help to reinstall the USB drive with a clean version of FreeNAS to make it boot up again perhaps?

kdragon75

Wizard
I am using a 16GB SanDisk UltraFit USB3 stick...
I have seen a number of issues with USB3 and UltraFit drives.
These Kingston drives have been working for me for years and I have 6 booting different machines. There old, slow, cheap, and are rock solid.

kdragon75

Wizard
Would it help to reinstall the USB drive with a clean version of FreeNAS to make it boot up again perhaps?
It won't hurt to try but if the drive is failing, its failing. What ever you do DO NOT TOUCH THE VOLUME MANAGER! Nor do you want to use import disk. You may need to do some work for the shell/console.

sizetwo

Dabbler
I have seen a number of issues with USB3 and UltraFit drives.
These Kingston drives have been working for me for years and I have 6 booting different machines. There old, slow, cheap, and are rock solid.

I remember reading that I should get the Ultra Fit, but I will try one more time with the one I have.

It won't hurt to try but if the drive is failing, its failing. What ever you do DO NOT TOUCH THE VOLUME MANAGER! Nor do you want to use import disk. You may need to do some work for the shell/console.

Ill see how it goes with a fresh install. Appreciate the help so far. Will get back with the results in a bit.

melloa

Wizard
Ill see how it goes with a fresh install. Appreciate the help so far. Will get back with the results in a bit.

For future:

- Always keep a copy of your config for situations like this (if you have not). A fresh install and config import will get all your settings back without any extra work;
- Using USB, get two or more in mirror. If one fails, the other will keep the box moving and it can be replaced without down time;
- FreeNAS boot and data are two different things, so your data is, if you haven't done anything to it in the process of getting it back, must be all there and safe - the beauty of ZFS :)

Try to get the server booting again as per previous posts and get back for more. You will find lots of people willing to help here. :cool:

sizetwo

Dabbler
Ok I got it to boot after doing a reinstall. I am in the logged onto the system, and I remember trying the "Import Volume" function without success last time, as thats what I found when I searched for a solution last time. Since I probably did something wrong I wont try it again. Any pointers on how to proceed? I dont believe I have an encrypted ZFS volume.

sizetwo

Dabbler
For future:

- Always keep a copy of your config for situations like this (if you have not). A fresh install and config import will get all your settings back without any extra work;
- Using USB, get two or more in mirror. If one fails, the other will keep the box moving and it can be replaced without down time;
- FreeNAS boot and data are two different things, so your data is, if you haven't done anything to it in the process of getting it back, must be all there and safe - the beauty of ZFS :)

Try to get the server booting again as per previous posts and get back for more. You will find lots of people willing to help here. :cool:

Thanks for the pointers. Ill keep that in mind!

sizetwo

Dabbler
I tried using the "import volume" function in the GUI, and could see the box reboot during step 2 of this process. Then FreeNAS crashing at the same point as in the original image uploaded here. So thats probably what happened last time... So that probably means I have to reinstall once more to the USB disk, and I guess I cant use the "Import volume" function? Brrrr.. Frustrating to deal with stuff that I dont quite understand ;)

melloa

Wizard
I tried using the "import volume" function in the GUI, and could see the box reboot during step 2 of this process.

Let's take a little detour:

- FreeNAS version
- Server hardware
- If you can boot
-- Go the the shell or ssh to the server and:
--- Command and post results:

root@mellonas:~ # zpool list

root@mellonas:~ # zpool status

root@mellonas:~ # zpool import

sizetwo

Dabbler
Let's take a little detour:

- FreeNAS version

>>11.1, the latest, downloaded today.

- Server hardware

>> Not entirely sure, its a box from around 2014. 8 GB memory, using onboard GPU. I dont have the specs available. If this is a major point let me know.

- If you can boot

>> I can, had to once again reinstall FreeNAS.

-- Go the the shell or ssh to the server and:
--- Command and post results:

root@mellonas:~ # zpool list

>> freenas-boot 14.2G 847M 13.4G - - 5% 1.00x ONLINE -

root@mellonas:~ # zpool status

[root@freenas ~]# zpool status
pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

root@mellonas:~ # zpool import

[root@freenas ~]# zpool import
pool: freeNASdisk
id: 10617402812746887365
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and
the '-f' flag.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

freeNASdisk ONLINE
raidz1-0 ONLINE
gptid/f6ee1da8-d2ad-11e7-9d6a-80ee73328d47 ONLINE
gptid/f7c7d5f0-d2ad-11e7-9d6a-80ee73328d47 ONLINE
gptid/f89a27de-d2ad-11e7-9d6a-80ee73328d47 ONLINE
gptid/f977619d-d2ad-11e7-9d6a-80ee73328d47 ONLINE

melloa

Wizard
Not entirely sure, its a box from around 2014. 8 GB memory, using onboard GPU. I don't have the specs available. If this is a major point let me know.

It is, as it seems you are running below required hardware. I'm not too big on server/desktop hardware, but you got to have memory enough due to ZFS requirements. Minimum is 16GB and you are running with 8. Old versions could have run fine, but you need to upgrade your RAM.

[root@freenas ~]# zpool import
pool: freeNASdisk
id: 10617402812746887365
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and
the '-f' flag.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
config:

freeNASdisk ONLINE
raidz1-0 ONLINE
gptid/f6ee1da8-d2ad-11e7-9d6a-80ee73328d47 ONLINE
gptid/f7c7d5f0-d2ad-11e7-9d6a-80ee73328d47 ONLINE
gptid/f89a27de-d2ad-11e7-9d6a-80ee73328d47 ONLINE
gptid/f977619d-d2ad-11e7-9d6a-80ee73328d47 ONLINE

Good news. Your pool still there. It might be as simple as only import, but again, you need more memory to run your server.

You can try importing the volume from: Storage > Import Volume, but again not sure will work with only 8GB.

sizetwo

Dabbler
It is, as it seems you are running below required hardware. I'm not too big on server/desktop hardware, but you got to have memory enough due to ZFS requirements. Minimum is 16GB and you are running with 8. Old versions could have run fine, but you need to upgrade your RAM.

Good news. Your pool still there. It might be as simple as only import, but again, you need more memory to run your server.

You can try importing the volume from: Storage > Import Volume, but again not sure will work with only 8GB.

Checked - I have 16GB of memory, thought I had 8. Sorry. Intel I5-3570 CPU @3.4 GHz. DDR3 16384 MB. So hardware wise I guess I should be fine.

If you read my comment above, what happens when I choose Storage > Import Volume is that the box restarts, and then it wont boot again. Stops at the screen posted in my first post on top here... Then I have to reinstall FreeNAS again onto my USB drive...

kdragon75

Wizard
Try zpool import -f 10617402812746887365 followed by a reboot.

sizetwo

Dabbler
Try zpool import -f 10617402812746887365 followed by a reboot.

Done. It did reboot on its own, and started up again. It did seem to give some error messages while rebooting, though, but started up. Not quite sure what the normal boot-routine looks like. Im back in the GUI now but I cant see any volumes under "Storage". To me nothing looks different from before I tried it. I cant find a good way to output the "messages" log file here if that can help clear up whats happening ... or if I am missing something completely.

melloa

Wizard
I can't find a good way to output the "messages" log file here

Pretty long output, so look for errors before posting the entire output on wait for someone with more experience to point to the exact line you are looking for:

dmesg | more

or direct the output to a file

dmesg > mylog.txt

You will get some thing like:

Code:
oot@mellonas:~ # dmesg | more
Copyright (c) 1992-2017 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
		The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #0 r321665+e0c4ca60dfc(freenas/11.1-stable): Wed May 30 14:18:20 EDT 2018
	root@nemesis.tn.ixsystems.com:/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64 amd64
FreeBSD clang version 5.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_500/final 312559) (based on LLVM 5.0.0svn)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz (2600.00-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x306e4  Family=0x6  Model=0x3e  Stepping=4
  Features=0xfa3fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,DTS,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS>
  Features2=0xffba2203<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,SSSE3,CX16,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,HV>
  AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  Structured Extended Features=0x283<FSGSBASE,TSCADJ,SMEP,ERMS>
  TSC: P-state invariant
Hypervisor: Origin = "VMwareVMware"

sizetwo

Dabbler
Pretty long output, so look for errors before posting the entire output on wait for someone with more experience to point to the exact line you are looking for:

dmesg | more

or direct the output to a file

dmesg > mylog.txt

You will get some thing like:

Code:
oot@mellonas:~ # dmesg | more
Copyright (c) 1992-2017 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
		The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #0 r321665+e0c4ca60dfc(freenas/11.1-stable): Wed May 30 14:18:20 EDT 2018
	root@nemesis.tn.ixsystems.com:/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64 amd64
FreeBSD clang version 5.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_500/final 312559) (based on LLVM 5.0.0svn)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz (2600.00-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x306e4  Family=0x6  Model=0x3e  Stepping=4
  Features=0xfa3fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,DTS,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS>
  Features2=0xffba2203<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,SSSE3,CX16,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,HV>
  AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  Structured Extended Features=0x283<FSGSBASE,TSCADJ,SMEP,ERMS>
  TSC: P-state invariant
Hypervisor: Origin = "VMwareVMware"

Ok I went through the log as pointed out, but I couldnt see any major flaws that I understood to be troubles there... From the web user interface, what steps do I need to take after doing the zpool import as described above? Should I see a volume there now? All it says under "Volumes" is "No entry has been found"... Appreciate all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.