Trying to Assign different IP to VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgiff

Cadet
Okay Im Really new to the FreeNAS OS so I have set up a Debian VM but It uses the same IP Address as the FreeNAS System. (ie Both OS are using 192.168.1.20) I am Going to use it for an apache server so I cant have it on the Same IP on the network. I saw a couple people saying change to bridge mode but I dont see that option in the networking tab or in the NIC tab for the VM. The VM installed correctly but I just need ip assignments like the jails get..
Sorry if this is a stupid question or if its been answered I tried searching.

Also Im running Freenas 11.1-U4

kdragon75

Wizard
I thought there was an easy way to setup a bridge interface in the GUI but I can't find one. We must be missing something obvious.

kdragon75

Wizard
Were you able to resolve this?
I was unable to find anything in the UI or the FreeNAS documentation going back to version 9.3.

I did just look into the vm-bhyve wiki on github and it looks like we are missing MANY options for bhyve and VM networking in general.

All of that said, I thought FreeNAS automatically setup the bridges. As its using bridges your VM should not have the same IP as FreeNAS. You should be able to set the IP in Debian just like any normal Debian server. It IS a separate OS and network stack.

chris crude

Patron
You should be able to set the IP in Debian just like any normal Debian server. It IS a separate OS and network stack.

Not familiar with Debian, but my Ubuntu VM was simple to set a static IP. This is fairly important as i only use it for PiHole, if i didnt have an IP to point my router DNS toward it really wouldnt work.

kdragon75

Wizard
connect to the debian VM and run lspci and ifconfig and post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.