Trunascore, Unable to expand the volume and now encryption issue...

Here is my attempt to solve the issue over at LTT.
I'm trying to boot to the previous install 11.2 RC2 and trying the passphrase and encryption key there.
Let me know if you folks can help.

Back on Freenas 11.2 RC2 and I don't have a address for GUI showing...

Attachments

• 20210310_120958[1].jpg
    20210310_120958[1].jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 123
OK easy fix to that just changed active boot in splash.
So that puts me back to stuck unable to decrypt my Pool as I was forced to lock it before I started to extend the pool.
As stated in the last post over at LTT, I didn't have a passphrase before upgrading to 12.0 I added a passphrase after upgrade and downloaded the new key. I do see this in the failed window.
Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 239, in _process_worker
r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 91, in main_worker
res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run
return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 977, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 371, in import_pool
self.logger.error(
File "libzfs.pyx", line 391, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 362, in import_pool
raise CallError(f'Pool {name_or_guid} not found.', errno.ENOENT)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [ENOENT] Pool 13886847204976836333 not found.
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/encryption_freebsd.py", line 272, in unlock
await self.middleware.call('zfs.pool.import_pool', pool['guid'], {
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1238, in call
return await self._call(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1203, in _call
return await self._call_worker(name, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1209, in _call_worker
return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1136, in run_in_proc
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1110, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [ENOENT] Pool 13886847204976836333 not found.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 367, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 403, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 973, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/encryption_freebsd.py", line 286, in unlock
raise CallError(msg)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Pool could not be imported: 4 devices failed to decrypt.

I see pool xxxxxxxx not found. Odd because I can see the locked pool in the GUI LOL back to searching I'll be close to respond quickly. Thanks again for looking.

I found this!!!!
""Unlock Geli-encrypted ZFS Volume - FreeNAS

Kai Wagner

2016-07-13 22:46

2 Comments

Source

Today an old friend of mine wrote me a message and asked me if I could help him with his home nas. His problem was that his FreeNAS system could no longer mount and decrypt his disks. He wasn't quite familiar with the commandline and storage tools, so he asked me for help.

After 15 minutes of frustrating and testing with my first FreeBSD I found a solution. For everybody how wants toor needs to decrypt a Geli-encrypted ZFS volume on FreeNAS - here's what I did:

To decrypt the volumes - first find out which one is the geli crypted - just testing every fu**ing partition:
geli attach -k [geli_key_file] [dev_to_unlock]

HINT: FreeNAS key-file location /data/geli/masterkeyofdoom.key

After that you have to import the zpool: zpool import -> list all existing zpools zpool import $POOLNAME -> import the named pool from above

In our scenario it wasn't possible to mount the zfs volumes after the zpool import, because the default mountpath was wrong and the main path is read-only within FreeNAS. To change the default mount path from zfs: zfs set mountpoint=/mnt poolname

Afterwards we could mount all existing zfs volumes to /mnt. To mount all existing volumes at a time:
zfs mount -a
That's it. Now we could access his data again. I learned a lot and now waiting for my crate beer as a reward :smile:. ""

I just don't understand what it's saying to do..... LOL Help!

I can tell these are console commands but I don't get the brackets...

First how do I "test every fu**ing partition?" lol

Second opening a encryption key in notepad provides a string of code, am I putting all that code into the geli attach command?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The brackets are there as wildcards. You don't need to type in the contents of a key. What they're telling you to do is:

[geli_key_file] - try substituting the name of each *.key file in /data/geli.
[dev_to_unlock] - Look in /dev for all the *p2 devices.

The poster is telling you to try the geli attach command on each combination of these 2 placeholders.
Once you have good unlocks, then run zpool import to get the name of the available pools to import, and then zpool import -f -R /mnt <name of your pool>.

Well 3 different computers with issue and my own Strix Vega 64 total fail later and I'm ready to give this a go. I have been looking around to figure out the terminal commands for trunas / freenas that I believe to be of a Linux flavor. Thanks for the response and I'll let you know what I end up with. Good day my friend.

Last edited:

sretalla