Encryption Keys Missing after Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompMaster

Cadet
Hello All,
Yesterday I performed an upgrade one one of our FreeNAS Boxes from 9.2 to 9.10.

This box has drive encryption on it, and when I went to unlock it I was unable to with the passphrase. I was able to get this unlocked after using the recovery key. After a lot of searching around, I realized that my encryption keys under /data/geli were missing (the directory is blank) as I was unable to download the key without getting a web error. Below is the code I receive when trying to do so.

Code:
Jan 10 01:49:49 NAS03 manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: Unable to set passphrase on gptid/5a39254b-2ccb-11e4-b8ee-002590eff18e: geli: Cannot open keyfile /data/geli/85359301-02ef-4288-b0e4-0b6caa646d0a.key: No such file or directory.
]

So here is my question. Obviously the data on this box is important (about 96TB). I thought that the next step would just to re-key the encryption. However, I did not want to risk losing the data without atleast asking here first if that is the right move. I do in fact still have the boot option on my boot drive to go back to 9.2. Can any advise what the appropriate next step is?

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

In the meantime, can you decrypt if you boot into the previous boot environment?

CompMaster

Cadet
Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

In the meantime, can you decrypt if you boot into the previous boot environment?

I have not tried considering I can decrypt with the Recovery key.

Status
Not open for further replies.