TruNAS as a backup solution and Samba Proxmox

sar

Dabbler
Hi,
I wanted to ask if I can implement the following plan with TruNas Scale.
I have to rebuild and would like to have 6 hard drives that are currently in a Linux computer as Nas. These disks are formatted and encrypted with ext4. They are all backups that are always backed up with SSH and rsync. This should continue to run in the NAS system if possible. Can this be implemented via the TruNas UI? Is there a guide? One or two disks should also be accessible as a network share for Windows.
I also have a Proxmox server that I could install TruNas on, which is a better choice. Install natively on a Linux computer (build it yourself) or on Proxmox and pass on the hardware? Is that possible? Lots of questions I know. =))

Thanks for the help in advance.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
These disks are formatted and encrypted with ext4.
They are all backups that are always backed up with SSH and rsync. This should continue to run in the NAS system if possible
That's not possible without hacking the OS to get EXT4 support. (not recommended)

Can this be implemented via the TruNas UI? Is there a guide?
No and no.

One or two disks should also be accessible as a network share for Windows.
In that case, they would need to be formatted into a ZFS pool with the contents copied on and shared as required. (I guess you don't want to do that as you mentioned keeping EXT4).

I also have a Proxmox server that I could install TruNas on, which is a better choice. Install natively on a Linux computer (build it yourself) or on Proxmox and pass on the hardware? Is that possible? Lots of questions I know. =))
This option has the same problems as the native install... no EXT4 support.

If you do end up installing TrueNAS in a VM, make sure to read this first:

It sounds like you might be happier with something like OMV, Xpenology or UNRAID for your NasWare host.

sar

Dabbler
I could build new hard disks as a pool and mount the ext4 disks by hand and copy the data to the new pool with rsync.?

Would that work or is ext4 not supported on this Debian, oh, I also need cryptsetup.?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Would that work or is ext4 not supported on this Debian, oh, I also need cryptsetup.?
That's where the problem will be...

I could build new hard disks as a pool and mount the ext4 disks by hand and copy the data to the new pool with rsync.?
This might be an option of sorts... you could provide yourself with a sufficiently large pool, loading up with ZVOLs to contain your disks... use a VM to then run whatever filesystem you want and copy over the disk contents with dd or rsync as makes sense.

It does somewhat undo the logic of having TrueNAS to some extent though, just having block storage to provide to VMs so they can use a filesystem that was already fine on its own in the first place.

You would be gaining snapshots though... make sure your ZVOLs are set up as sparse.

micneu

Patron
ich glaube der post ist hier falsch, wir sind hier im deutschen bereich?!

sar

Dabbler
Hi,
Ich kann auch deutsch sprechen, tut mir Leid für die fallsche Sprache. =))

Ich bin jetzt etwas verwirrt. Kann ich nicht eine ext4 Festplatte manuel in TruNas mounten, es ist doch ein Linux warum soll das nicht gehen?

Dann nehme ich vier neue Platten, baue mir daraus einen "RAID-Z1"- Pool und müsste doch dann meine Daten von der ext4 Platte kopieren können.

Ich verstehe das mit dd nicht, dd kopiert doch das Filesystem mit, wie soll das mit ZFS zusammenpassen? Ich könnte mir vorstellen wie sie es meinen das ich meine alten Platten an eine VM binde aber das ist ja .... =)) Dann würde ich es lieber per ssh und rsync machen..

Viele Grüße

IndieCoopz

Explorer
Du kannst soweit ich weis über die Funktion "import disk" eine ext4 Festplatte importieren, aber eben nur den Inhalt der Platte auf deinen ZFS Pool. Keine Ahnung warum man das mit der Konsole machen soll, dafür gibts ne GUI. Oder ich habs falsch verstanden...

sar

Dabbler
Hi,

Vielen Dank für Deine Hilfe!
Ich habe es hinbekommen, ich habe Sie manuell gemoutet und dann alles mit rsync in den Datensatz des Pools kopiert.

Welche Einstellungen sind beim "Erweitertes Energiemanagement"
und "HDD Standby" zu empfehlen bei einem Pool von 5 Platten?

Momentan ist "always on" und erweitertem Energiemanagment "deaktivert", soll ich das so lassen, weil der Pool gibt so glucksende geräusche von sich. Ist das normal?

Liebe Güße

IndieCoopz

Explorer
Hi,

Vielen Dank für Deine Hilfe!
Ich habe es hinbekommen, ich habe Sie manuell gemoutet und dann alles mit rsync in den Datensatz des Pools kopiert.

Welche Einstellungen sind beim "Erweitertes Energiemanagement"
und "HDD Standby" zu empfehlen bei einem Pool von 5 Platten?

Momentan ist "always on" und erweitertem Energiemanagment "deaktivert", soll ich das so lassen, weil der Pool gibt so glucksende geräusche von sich. Ist das normal?

Liebe Güße
Ein Pool sollte niemals irgendwelche Energiespareinstellungen haben. Daher am alles so lassen. Die Platten gehören ja "zusammen" daher sind die immer am drehen. Drauf achten TrueNAS bzw ZFS mag keine SMR Platten. Die funktionieren zwar aber sind nicht empfohlen. Bei mir war es z.B auch immer so, dass mit denen ein erweiterter SMART Test immer fehlschlug, bei allen Platten.
Hier gibt es irgendwo eine detaillierte Beschreibung warum wieso und weshalb man CMR nutzen sollte.
Warum deine Platten glucksen weiß ich nicht, vielleicht freuen die sich, weil sie jetzt in einem TrueNAS System werkeln dürfen :tongue: (Sorry^^)