SOLVED Converting from FreeNAS to TruNAS, a small question

denaba

Explorer
Hello everyone. Finally getting around to my FreeNAS box which I want to convert to the TruNAS.

My current version is FreeNAS 11.3-U5. Currently the OS is on a 32GB thumb with another thumb mirroring it. But as I said I got around to this project and I now have my M.2 SSD's (one for the OS and the other to mirror like the thumbs). I want to finally get off the thumb drives (I can use for other things) and go M.2 SSD's which I got some new ones for the OS.

My question is this;

Can I save my config file to my desktop, remove the drives temporarily, remove both thumbs, install the M.2 SSD's, install TruNAS on to one. Shutdown and reconnect the drives and then upload my config file even though it was from FreeNAS? Will uploading to a TruNAS system just update the config file?

Or

Would it be better to upgrade my FreeNAS to TruNAS first and then download the config to my system, remove my thumbs as above and then install TruNAS to the M.2 and then upload the config?

I just want to make sure I do this right. I just use my box as a backup for files, videos, movies, pics and a ton of music.

Thank you everyone for the help.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Option 1 is fine. You can also just install the SSDs, add them as mirrors to the boot pool, and then remove the old USB flash drives. Update either before or after (it'll be faster after the USB drives are gone).

sretalla