TrueNas | Working with Premir pro

MagnumPL

Cadet
Hi everyone, text from google translator. Please be understanding.

I work with as a video editor, and I often go back to older projects to get a few shots. I have so much knowledge that I was able to install the trunas on my old laptop without any problems and everything worked.
But now it needs a little more space and is relatively easy to expand.
I have a few questions, I hope someone will help.

Will such a motherboard be enough?
Motherboard
For this 32 GB RAM target 64 GB
2 m2 1 TB drives as cache
Power Supply
Network Cart
Standard HDDs

What data transfer can I count on?
What do you think about such a solution in relation to ready-made stations from QNAP or SYNOLOGY.

NugentS

MVP
1. Gaming Motherboard
2. RAM is good (amount) - you want to use ECC if you can - but this will limit your CPU choice (which you haven't mentioned)
3. Cache does not work how you think it works. And saying cache doesn't really tell us what you are trying to achieve. However its possible that use of a "cache" may just slow things down, depending on what you try to do with it
4. Network Card - just No in Core - it might work in Scale
Caveat: If that an Aquantia Chipset - it might work in latest Core (or it may not): https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/aquantia-driver-for-truenas-12-1.87203/#post-605542
5. HDD' s make sure they aren't SMR drives (which are cheaper than CMR)

Not sure if the ASM1061 SATA Ports are supported on Core (or Scale) so that might limit you to 4 SATA Ports (-1 for boot) = 3 disks

Less than an ideal choice I think

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You would be much better off going with a server motherboard. Just as a desktop motherboard is inappropriate for gaming, and lacks features that gamers want/need, a server motherboard is optimized for the task of being a server. A gaming motherboard is not too good at that.

32GB of RAM can maybe support 120GB-240GB of L2ARC ("cache"), but you should really hit 64GB before trying to add L2ARC. For 2TB of L2ARC, you probably want 256-512GB of RAM. As @NugentS says, cache may or may not be doing what you think, and may or may not be helpful to you.

You should check out the 10 Gig Networking Primer to choose a decent network card.

NugentS

MVP
Definitely go for a server motherboard if only for one killer reason
IPMI / iLO / LightOut / Remote Management

And for this purpose they just work better