TrueNAS won't let me install new apps.

Betat0m

Cadet
I'm new to TrueNAS, I'm trying to do a fair amount with it from the get go and I'm going to use an old computer to host a number of things;

• Wordpress Sandbox for web development
  • SAB downloader
  • Plex Host
  • some other project types as well.
For some reason I've run into loads of issues try to get started, including not being able to install apps and flip flopping between letting me create jails and then not giving me and SSL permissions.

I'm also getting VNET issues which I can't seem to figure out.

I've just installed the latest update but still no dice. Can anyone help me with the installing of apps?

I get as far as 50% -ffmpeg and then it fails with this alert.

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-21 at 21.07.08.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-21 at 21.07.08.png
    111 KB · Views: 403

Redcoat

MVP
I'm new to TrueNAS, I'm trying to do a fair amount with it from the get go and I'm going to use an old computer to host a number of things;

• SAB downloader
  • Plex Host
For some reason I've run into loads of issues try to get started, including not being able to install apps and flip flopping between letting me create jails and then not giving me and SSL permissions.

I'm also getting VNET issues which I can't seem to figure out.

I've just installed the latest update but still no dice. Can anyone help me with the installing of apps?

I get as far as 50% -ffmpeg and then it fails with this alert.

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Welcome to the forums!

I think you need to do some reading - TrueNAS requires 8GB ram minimum. Based on the paucity of info you provided, I can't hazard a guess at other issues you may have. Find the docs on the masthead at at https://www.truenas.com/docs/

Please read the Forum Rules (in RED on the masthead) or https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/forum-rules.45124/ , supply the info. and likely someone that knows the AMD platforms will give you some advice.

Good luck.

prophoto

Explorer
This appears to be the same issue I am having. My machine is running 128GB of ECC RAM so its not a lack of resources. Tried a reboot and upgrade to 12.0 u7. I get to 75% and then this message shows.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 4.53.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 4.53.37 PM.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 385

prophoto

Explorer
Same issue again on my backup machine. It’s got 32Gb of RAM running u4. Help!

Betat0m

Cadet
Properly starting to regret investing anything into this :rolleyes:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Properly starting to regret investing anything into this

Sorry to hear that, but it might have been prudent to start off by investing a little time reading the documentation. The minimum memory requirement, WITHOUT any of

• SAB downloader
  • Plex Host

this stuff, is 8GB. Adding Plex and Wordpress probably pushes MINIMUM memory requirement past 16GB. You've only got 4GB according to your signature. It isn't clear what anyone here can do to help you.

Betat0m

Cadet
Hey jgreco,

I’d updated ram between logins and haven’t changed my sig yet, apologies!

Here’s what’s been tried since first post.

update to 8gb DDR3
Fresh install & update through that install
Try to create jails and then installing through shell - worked as far as actually being able to create a jail on 11.3 and then run the programme through she’ll but ports fail to be recognised
Readjusting networking errors that I could through as many different forums as I could.

Working through shell on an old patch has been the most successful thing so far. Especially with plex and create an apache server. Just again keeps coming back to the above and then VNET failures.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
All sorts of weird problems can pop up when the system runs out of memory. An AMD APU powered system is probably okay for basic fileservice with a few HDD's, but don't set your expectations too high.

prophoto

Explorer
@jgreco Why are you avoiding my questions? I'm getting the same issue.

Tried to create a test jail today and it failed again, on both of my machines with PLENTY of resources. Both using dual Xeon processors.

Alecmascot

Guru
@jgreco Why are you avoiding my questions? I'm getting the same issue.

Tried to create a test jail today and it failed again, on both of my machines with PLENTY of resources. Both using dual Xeon processors.
Trace back shows "read-only filesystem" ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
@jgreco Why are you avoiding my questions?

Because I'm not an employee of iXsystems, I'm not required to do technical support for FreeNAS (just a community member, like you!), I don't read every single message posted to the forums, and even where I do read a message, I generally do not reply unless I have something constructive to say. Since I don't actually do anything with jails on FreeNAS, I typically don't even do more than a quick glance at most such messages. Aside from a little bit of toying with it, I have virtually no experience with the FreeNAS jail stuff. All my jails are done on FreeBSD in an entirely different type of environment.

I mean, you asked why I'm avoiding the question. :smile:

I also don't have an exclusive on the market for clueful debugging skills, as @Alecmascot deftly illustrates -

Trace back shows "read-only filesystem" ?

Does your iocage dataset have "Exec=off" and/or "ReadOnly=on" by any chance?

Code:
zfs list -o name,exec,readonly nameofpool/iocage

An alternative approach (which is what I personally use), is to manually create the jail and install Plex, rather than use the "Plugins" method.

1. Create a new jail, either through Basic or Advanced creation
    • Name it plex
    • I prefer Basejail (instead of Clone Jail), but to each their own
    • Select the matching release based on your "uname -r" output (Likely to be 12.2-RELEASE)
    • Enable DHCP, which should also automatically enable VNET and Berkeley Packet Filter
    • Make sure NAT is disabled
    • The rest of the options can be left at their defaults (They can always be changed later)
  2. Add your mount points for this jail (such as the dataset(s) / folder(s) where your media will reside)
  3. Enter the jail's console
    • Code:
      iocage console -f plex
  4. Install and configure Plex (you might be prompted for first-time commands)
    • Code:
      pkg update
      pkg upgrade
      pkg install plexmediaserver
      pkg install ffmpeg
      sysrc plexmediaserver_enable=YES
  5. Exit and restart the jail
  6. Try to access the Plex Web GUI via its IP address (optionally through app.plex.tv)
  7. You're likely going to need to modify the permissions on the media dataset(s) / folder(s), either via ACL or standard Unix permissions. At minimum, the user "plex" or group "plex" (UID/GID: 972) needs read access on the files, and read/exec access on the folders. Since no such user currently exists in your server (only the jail), you need to add a user named "plex" as UID/GID 972, via Accounts -> Users
Some of the above steps are not unique to the manual jail creation method. In fact, Steps #2, #6, and #7 are still required if using the "Plugin" method, anyways.

Last edited:

Betat0m

Cadet
Gents, Somehow it's solved. I honestly cannot tell you how, I just retraced my steps and deleted all of my pools and went through the process again. Somehow I can now install plugins. Now I'm only onto networking issues with the likes of Sonarr & Radarr not being able to connect to the indexers.

Thankyou you all for responding though. If I do find the root of this I'll post it back onto here to hopefully give someone future guidance.

Cheers.