TrueNAS won't boot after shutdown - drops to GRUB prompt

Pyrroc

Cadet
So this is happening on two separate, identical TrueNAS Scale systems, both 22.12.3.2. Both are from a fresh install, new hardware, multiday memtest86+ (8+ full run passes without error).

mobo: ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
Memory: 128GB Crucial DDR4-3200
Boot drive: Crucial P2 500GB NVMe (one is now a pair of SATA SSDs after trying to troubleshoot)(also tried Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe)

After the installation I can reboot as often as I wish and everything is great. The problem starts when I have to shut down for a period.

If I boot UEFI, I get just a grub prompt without errors. Here are "ls -al" outputs from each: NVMe and SATA. "set" outputs: NVMe and SATA

If I boot legacy, I get either "compression algorithm inherit not supported" on NVMe or a "no such device, unknown filesystem" grub rescue prompt on SATA.

The only way to recover the system is to do an "upgrade". I've always opted to do the full format version to try and see if something's wrong with the partition tables or something. Once I do the upgrade and it reboots to add the previous config file back in, I can then reboot at will and everything is great again until I have to shut down.

This last time when changing to SATA boot drives, I just did a full fresh install and uploaded the saved config file and rebooted. Same result when I shut it down.

I'm desperately open to suggestions. All of my research on this has people pointing to corrupted boot devices, but I find it very hard to believe that 3 NVMe drives and 2 SATA SSDs are all corrupted in exactly the same way.

Last edited: