TrueNAS Scale VM

tdyboc

Cadet
Just installed 22.02.3 release. Cannot get Ubuntu 20.04 or 22.04 to install into a VM. Is there anything special I need to do? I've tried using VirtIO for both storage and network, nothing will allow the installation to complete. Keeps getting stuck at various points, commonly during simple disk prepare/partitioning.

Also, I was able to successfully install RHEL 8.5 but the network from the VM isn't properly configured. Not being a network guru am curious what I might need to do to enable network access for the VM to get out of my network.

Thanks.

tdyboc

Cadet
I'm using a SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F board 128GB. TrueNAS Scale installed easily, loved that part, was up/active in very short order.

For the Ubuntu VM there's no error really, it just hangs at various places like partitioning or the initial fetching of packages at the beginning of the install. Trying to do anything within the installer from that point does nothing. I once got a screen that it crashed and asked to send to Canonical so I did. I actually let it sit, while at lunch, nothing changed in over an hour and I just powered it off and deleted it.

As for RHEL 8.5 VM, it installs fine, and I can VNC into the VM but it manufactured some obscure network config that I've never seen before and couldn't figure out what it attempted/thought to do but can't see my network from within the VM at all so no access to the internet to apply patches etc.

Thanks.

tdyboc

Cadet
I just tried again with Ubuntu 22.04 and it hangs/clocks on "configuring partition: partition-1"

1663958687221.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It seems like Ubuntu is trying to use a physical drive.....not accepting a logical volume.

My guess is Debian would work fine... can you check with Ubuntu forums on their "drive requirements"? (found this here.. https://ostechnix.com/install-ubuntu-desktop/ )

Can you document specifically how you set-up the VM and the options you chose... perhaps someone will see where there is an alternative approach.

Last edited:

DaSnipe

Explorer
I’ve gotten a Ubuntu 20.04 VM working before, definitely doable, I’ll post screenshots tomorrow

tdyboc

Cadet
UPDATE
Played around more. Finally got Ubuntu 22.04 to install under TrueNAS Scale as a VM. I did ensure that I used Legacy BIOS and VirtIO if that was an option presented from the VM configuration.

I think the one thing that might have made it successful was I "pre-created" a z-vol and in the VM configuration setup pointed to that device then the disk partitioning worked so the Ubuntu installer worked. Seems if you allow TrueNAS Scale to create the z-vol as part of the VM configuration it messes up the Ubuntu installer for some reason.

One complaint is once the installation is completed and a reboot of the VM is required TrueNAS Scale has little concept of proper device order or the ability to disengage the cdrom properly. I had to physically remove the cdrom device (could not remove just the ISO image file) before the VM would boot properly. I also noticed there are duplicate devices numbers for the display and NIC, which may be the overall intended purpose I just find it odd. This area needs some improvement from development.

Another complaint is you cannot fully EDIT the VM configuration once you complete it initially. This also needs improvement.

VM configuration needs to mature greatly but for my first use of TrueNAS Scale within my homelab I do find it intriguing. From my humble use of FreeNAS way back in the day I'll say WOW and will continue to see how I can use it to scale down my homelab systems onto TrueNAS Scale, but, for right now Proxmox will still have a place for me.

My TrueNAS Scale hardware, for anyone interested. I'm using a minimal number of storage devices until I proof this more so just enough to play with various features of TrueNAS Scale.
  1. Mainboard is https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SDV-4C-TLN2F + 128 GB memory found on Ebay for cheap
  2. Case is http://www.plinkusa.net/webG2250.htm (new)
  3. Drive cage is https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=192 (new)
  4. HBA is Broadcom HBA 9400-8i8e (existing)
  5. SAS Expander is Intel Storage Controller Upgrade Card RES3FV288 (existing)
  6. SATA III Tandberg QuikStor RDX for important backups (existing)