TrueNAS SCALE - very impressive :)

demanl

Cadet
I would like to start off by saying I've used freenas server for at least 5 years now....and I just upgraded it to TrueNAS - SCALE....and I can only say WOW.

Nice job on TrueNAS SCALE....its just soo much more robust. I can now create a Windows 2019 Essentials server with NO problems....and its still up and running days later....I did NOT have this nice of an experience with Core....damn..nice job with SCALE.

I will be recommending TrueNAS SCALE whenever and wherever I'm asked about back-end server or VM setups...thanks to all at the TrueNAS - SCALE team...:)

Welcome to the TrueNAS Community @demanl! Many of us at iX are here on the forums and when they see this I am sure this will make their week, it sure made mine and I only had a small hand in the release of TrueNAS SCALE.

From everyone at iX, we want to say thank you so much for the kind words. Our team strives to make TrueNAS SCALE better and better with each release and it looks like our efforts are beginning to pay off!

Cheers, and have a great weekend!

Solentmancub

Cadet
Appreciate the Feedback @demanl - Hopefully each release gets a bit better and better :)
Hello Kris, total newbie here. I have an old HP Prolient Server with four bays. I just installed TrueNAs Scale. Each disk is 1TB & I set it up as mirrored. Unfortunately it seems to be configured so that my overall storage is 1Tb! Is there a way I can set up 2 disks to mirror to the other 2?
Thanks for your attention.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Did you install to all four disks? In that case you won't have any space for data. You need a dedicated OS disk/SSD and then you create your storage pool after installation from the UI.

Or did you create a storage pool with all four disks? In that case you can detach two of them, then add an additional mirrored VDEV to the pool.

Solentmancub

Cadet
Did you install to all four disks? In that case you won't have any space for data. You need a dedicated OS disk/SSD and then you create your storage pool after installation from the UI.

Or did you create a storage pool with all four disks? In that case you can detach two of them, then add an additional mirrored VDEV to the pool.
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Sorry yes I do have a 5th disk with the TrueNAS software running on it buy it is not SSD. I do however have a 64GB SDD spare. I did create a pool with all four disks but I was trying to follow a chap on Youtube. I am not sure what a Vdev is so guess at a virtual drive? I have put in screen shot. I would appreciate monkey see monkey do instruction till I get used to working with this software please. I have taken a screenshot if that helps? I think there is some way I can take a system dump if you can instruct on how? Sorry but I am total newb fed up with paying Apple for storage, thank you in advance.

Attachments

• FreeNas.png
    FreeNas.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 47

Solentmancub

Cadet
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Sorry yes I do have a 5th disk with the TrueNAS software running on it buy it is not SSD. I do however have a 64GB SDD spare. I did create a pool with all four disks but I was trying to follow a chap on Youtube. I am not sure what a Vdev is so guess at a virtual drive? I have put in screen shot. I would appreciate monkey see monkey do instruction till I get used to working with this software please. I have taken a screenshot if that helps? I think there is some way I can take a system dump if you can instruct on how? Sorry but I am total newb fed up with paying Apple for storage, thank you in advance.

Attachments

• FreeNAS1.png
    FreeNAS1.png
    548 KB · Views: 45

NugentS

MVP
You have done a mirror of 4 disks. 3 drives of resiliency and 1 drive of data. Your data is quite safe, but only from disk failure or bit rot

Depending what you want you can as @Patrick M. Hausen mentions detech 2 of the disks and add a second vdev of the two, now detached disks. End result = 2 vdevs of 2 mirrored disks. You can lose 1 disk in each vdev and maintain function, but lose 2 disks in a single vdev = lose the pool.

Alternatively if there is no data on the pool you can delete the entire pool and recreate a a single vdev with either:
  • 4 disks in RAIDz1 = single disk parity, capacity of 3 disks
  • 4 disks in RAIDz2 = dual disk parity, capacity of 2 disks
Which you use is up to your need for space and capacity for risk. Do you have a backup?

Solentmancub

Cadet
You have done a mirror of 4 disks. 3 drives of resiliency and 1 drive of data. Your data is quite safe, but only from disk failure or bit rot

Depending what you want you can as @Patrick M. Hausen mentions detech 2 of the disks and add a second vdev of the two, now detached disks. End result = 2 vdevs of 2 mirrored disks. You can lose 1 disk in each vdev and maintain function, but lose 2 disks in a single vdev = lose the pool.

Alternatively if there is no data on the pool you can delete the entire pool and recreate a a single vdev with either:
  • 4 disks in RAIDz1 = single disk parity, capacity of 3 disks
  • 4 disks in RAIDz2 = dual disk parity, capacity of 2 disks
Which you use is up to your need for space and capacity for risk. Do you have a backup?
Thank you for that. I managed to suss out how to delete 2 disks & I think I have created a proper mirror ( see attached) I am not sure about RAIDz 1 or 2 as I read you can lose all your data. I Think I will stick to the basics for now. My next problem is my test shared folder. I can access it from the machine (Apple) I used to log into the NAS but not from any other device on my network. Not sure why. I also noticed this NAS software has applets, does that mean I can get on etc organise my photos? I intend to back this NAS up to a cloud provider.

NugentS

MVP
4 disks in Z2 is safer than 2 sets of mirrors as with Z2 you can lose any two disks and keep on trucking. With striped mirrors you can lose 2 specific disks, one from each vdev and keep going, but if you lose 2 from the same vdev then you lose the pool

Solentmancub

Cadet
4 disks in Z2 is safer than 2 sets of mirrors as with Z2 you can lose any two disks and keep on trucking. With striped mirrors you can lose 2 specific disks, one from each vdev and keep going, but if you lose 2 from the same vdev then you lose the pool
Thank you for that. I am going to attempt to do that. If not I can wipe the server and start over as it has no data

Solentmancub

Cadet
Hi, could you advise if I have set this up correctly. I downloaded the latest of FreeNAS Scale. Thank you

Attachments

• Disk.png
    Disk.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 39

Etorix

Wizard
Yes. 4-wide raidz2

Solentmancub

Cadet

Yes. 4-wide raidz2
Thank you, I was worried about the VDEVS not assigned but I guess that's not relevant

Etorix

Wizard
A pool need at least one data vdev; all other vdev types are optional. Do not try to make use of all ZFS features: There are way too many!