Truenas Scale "unable to reach update servers." and ping to any website in shell does not work.

nero10578

Dabbler
So I replaced my SSD that has my apps and VMs with a new one to start fresh in my server. And when I tried to install storj node again it kept on not wanting to install and deleting itself.

I remembered this is the same thing as when it can't connect to the internet, but my other apps worked fine and interacted with the internet. So I checked the updated section and sure enough "Truenas was unable to reach update servers." poppped up and when I try to say ping google.com in shell it does not work either. It's like it can't resolve DNS or can't reach a DNS server for some reason.

If I change network settings (toggling dhcp on or off for example) then update works and I can ping google.com, but it stops working again after a few minutes.

I've tried switching between the two NICs on my motherboard and trying to use a bond failover or load balance between the two and the exact same thing happens. I even reinstalled truenas scale but restored my config and it still does not work. I really need to get storj back up or I'll get disqualified and its just not working because it can't resolve DNS. ANY help would be appreciated because I'm pulling my hairs out trying to get this to work. Thank you.

Specs:

Xeon 2689V4

Supermicro X10SRA with Dual Intel I210 NICs

64GB ECC DRR4 Crucial 2400MHz

2x WD 12TB White label, 4x Seagate 2TB Skyhawk, 2x Seagate 6TB Exos (storj node drives)

AT&T Nokia garbage router/wifi/modem (is this the source of the problem?)

Network settings truenas: https://imgur.com/Z95sidJ

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Can you ping any address, such as your network gateway, or a nameserver, when this happens? There's a difference between being unable to resolve DNS and being unable to communicate on the network at all.

nero10578

Dabbler
Can you ping any address, such as your network gateway, or a nameserver, when this happens? There's a difference between being unable to resolve DNS and being unable to communicate on the network at all.
I can ping anything and I can communicate to my server from other computers or even through tailscale just fine. But as soon as I try to ping a website it can't and that's why updates don't work and also my apps can't connect to anything.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I can ping anything and I can communicate to my server from other computers or even through tailscale just fine. But as soon as I try to ping a website it can't and that's why updates don't work and also my apps can't connect to anything.

What nameservers have you configured in the network settings? Can you ping them?

nero10578

Dabbler
What nameservers have you configured in the network settings? Can you ping them?
I put in my wifi router's ipv4 address which is 192.168.1.254 which is also the same as I put in as the gateway. I also tried putting in 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 as the nameservers and it still does the same thing. I can ping them in shell but yea still does not work.

pixelwave

Contributor
Any updates how to solve? I have the same problem now with my backup server on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4. I wanted to upgrade to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0 but it tells me:

ClientConnectorError​

TrueNAS was unable to reach update servers.

pixelwave

Contributor
Ok .. figured something out. Seemed like mit CMOS battery on the mainboard run dead. The BIOS time was some date in 2005. I put in a fresh battery, re-configured the BIOS time and now TrueNAS can reach the update servers again.