Can't Resolve hostnames, but can ping/nslookup

IronPhreak

Cadet
I've set up a fresh install of TrueNAS-12.0-U4.1, I had it installed previously but after a drive failed, I wanted to start from scratch as I've learned a few things. However, I can't get any plugins installed, each time I try I get the following error

Code:
Error: Plex had a failure Exception: GitCommandError Message: Cmd('git') failed due to: exit code(128) cmdline: git clone -v https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-plexmediaserver.git /mnt/Internal/iocage/jails/Plex/plugin stderr: 'Cloning into '/mnt/Internal/iocage/jails/Plex/plugin'... fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-plexmediaserver.git/': Could not resolve host: github.com ' Partial plugin destroyed

Right, so can't resolve? I double-checked the global network config and ensured that the name servers & gateway was specified, the date/time was correct and the appropriate timezone was assigned. Rebooted... nothing. I can ping & nslookup github.com, giving me the correct IP address, I just can't traceroute to it for some reason? It gets out of the network, to my ISP though.

I double-checked whether I could traceroute to it from my Windows desktop, I can... 15 hops and I'm there, but on TrueNAS, with the same network settings, nope, it gets out my network, through my ISP, it actually gets to a github domain on the 12th hop

Code:
github-ic350972-ffm-b11.ip.twelve99-cust.net

but then it just stops, and then it's just

Code:
13  * * *
14  * * *
15  * * *
16  * * *
17  * * *
18  * * *
19  * * *
20  * * *
21  * * *
22  * * *
23  * * *
24  * * *
25  * * *
26  * * *
27  * * *
28  * * *
29  * * *
30  * * *
31  * * *
32  * * *
33  * * *

I then set TrueNAS to DHCP, as my router is set to assign it the specified IP address it's always had, but provide it the same DNS servers as all my other devices, still nothing.

Then, it turns out, I can install plugins, so long as I install them using DHCP & not specify their IP address, which is odd?

I checked /etc/resolv.conf and, yeah, it's using the correct name servers, a mix of my ISP and google, the same that my desktop is using.

I spent hours last night and this morning, googling, searching, reading forum posts and I've tried all the methods I could find, but I simply can't see why this isn't working for me.

TL;DR
Can't resolve github.com
  • Timezone is correct
  • DNS is correct
  • Gateway is correct
  • Date/time is correct
  • Can resolve other domains
  • Rebooted the server countless times
  • Rebooted the router a couple times
  • Nslookup resolves it
  • Ping resolves it
  • Other network devices resolve it
  • Vanilla Ice could probably resolve it!
I just can't figure out why it's not just working as it has previously. For now, I can just install the plugins via DHCP, then assign their static IP... but something isn't working and it's buggings me :D

Help?

Thanks.

IronPhreak

Cadet
SOLVED!

Believe I have figured out where I was going wrong.

When installing the plugin, I wasn't specifying the "IPv3 Default Router" which I thought would get auto-filled from global config, however, after filling this in, the plugins installed just fine when specifying their intended IP address...