Truenas SCALE to Ubuntu

paul56

Dabbler
A few months ago I switched from Ubuntu 20.04 to Truenas SCALE (First 21.06 now up to 21.08 BETA2).
Generally I've been really impressed with it and happy with the switch except for a particular boot issue (separate thread) which seems to be specific to my server. I'm considering switching back to Ubuntu for now on this server to avoid that bug if it can't be resolved soon.
If I do so can I simply import my ZFS pool into Ubuntu like I did going to SCALE?
I'm sure I can in theory but only thing is although I've not upgraded the ZFS version for a while I think I did so back on 21.06 as I enabled LZ4 and deduplication on one dataset in the pool and I believe the versions have to match to some extent but does anyone know how I can check the version I'm using currently and can Ubuntu 20.04 be configured to use the same version, and if not will it work if the versions are at least close enough for Ubuntu 20.04 ZFS to support the LZ4 and deduplication features I enabled? If 20.04 can't work, I could also look at Ubuntu 21.10 if that is a closer match...

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Can you provide a summary/link to the particular boot issue?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Strange bug....no ideas
On ZFS versions,, the docs recommend looking at zpool-features

paul56

Dabbler
Strange bug....no ideas
On ZFS versions,, the docs recommend looking at zpool-features

Thanks, I looked at ZFS feature flags as you recommended and found this document:
https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Basic Concepts/Feature Flags.html

So it appears Ubuntu still uses 0.8.x versions and I'm on 2.0.x.
Although I'm not using any features that aren't supported on 0.8.x specifically, it looks like there is a few enabled (but not active) that are not available in 0.8.x, so I suspect it won't work but worth a try perhaps?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
You'd have to test - carefully.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You can also install the jonathanf ppa to get OpenZFS 2.0.x in Ubuntu. If you do this, delete the 0.8.x versions in /lib/modules/<kernel version>/kernel/zfs, and have DKMS install the PPA 2.0.x version from source.

snoop

Cadet
I tried the jonathonf ppa on 20.04 and the native ZFS 2 support in 21.10. My Scale zpools imported just fine.