TrueNAS Scale - System Dataset Pool shows as offline

I have TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0 installed on a HP EliteDesk 800 G1 with an i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz and 8GB ram.

It has been running for about a month while I familiarize myself with the setup. I am a noob.

Internally it has one 256gb SSD drive

Externally it has
1 x 3tb USB3.0 WD drive
1 x 6tb USB3.0 drive

The following pools were created, one for each drive

Internal 256GB drive - boot-pool
External 3TB drive - Data3tb
External 6TB drive - Video6tb

At some point TrueNAS changed the status of the external 3TB Pool to offline.

The alert reads :

Pool Data3tb is offline, not running scrub.​

The drive still shows as connected under Storage>Disks but the Pool reads as N/A.

The SMART test shows a result of short offline as SUCCESS

I'm lost.

Is there a means by which I can online this drive/pool or do I need to remove it entirely and plug in a different drive?

Thanks

artlessknave

Wizard
USB is not supported for drive connections. ZFS does NOT like USB; USB accesses drives in sequence, usually poorly, and doesn't respond to commands in reasonable times, which makes ZFS's consider the drive as dead.
additionally, these kinds of drives are usually SMR. SMR and ZFS do NOT mix. SMR has been shown to increase resilver times by, like, 1000s of percentages, taking *weeks* to resilver what should be a day max

there are hardware recomendations for a reason. you should read the forum rules and hardware recommendations.
I will also note that the people who know TrueNAS best rarely answer threads that they can tell didn't read the forum rules at a minimum.

Your reply is much appreciated and helpful in rounding my understanding of the difference between usb drives and internal ones for this application.

I'm using what I have and obviously hitting walls, my next pass looks to be to shuck the usb 3 enclosures and seat the drives internally.

artlessknave

Wizard
shuck the usb 3 enclosures and seat the drives internally
if they are SMR, don't even bother. they will still, frankly, most likely work like crap with ZFS.
testing it out first is totally a good idea, but this setup, which appears to probably use nothing from the recommended hardware, is simply not going to give you a good sample of what truenas can actually do.
the recommended hardware is recommended for a reason.
check out the links in my signature, they are intended to help out new users with what is and isn't a good idea.
if you are limited to this specific hardware, seriously consider looking into swhat other options are available, many people like unRAID and openmediavault, they have more filesystem options than just ZFS.
TrueNAS is pretty much a ZFS only pony.