Truenas Scale & Proxmox

martking

Cadet
Hi All,

First time post so please go easy on me.

I am currently looking at some hardware for Proxmox bare metal, then Truenas Scale VM. I know Truenas can do VM's but I prefer to use a Hypervisor for the bare metal installation. Due to power consumption I am looking at doing this with AMD Ryzen 9 to the following spec :

Motherboard: Asrock X570M Pro4.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
Ram: 128 GB Kingston KSM26ED8/32ME UDIMM ECC

Apparently this all should support Ecc not just say it does. I was wondering if anyone has used similar on Asrock

oguruma

Patron
How are you going to handle storage within the SCALE VM?

Are you going to add a PCI HBA card and then pass that to the TrueNAS VM?

martking

Cadet
Yeah that's my intention, not going to even attempt doing it with zfs on proxmox and then adding a virtual drive.

Proxmox is a hypervisor
TrueNAS is a NAS

Both are good at what they do and I prefer using the right tools for the job

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
I have a similar setup (soon)…

Proxmox Hypervisor with TNS - I just pass through a single 4TB NVME to TNS and then add the SMB shares of that to Proxmox for other VM data consumption.

TNS is then replicated to my real Fileserver with TNS baremetal, which also runs a VM with PBS (Proxmox Backup Server).

Hypervisor - 15W (24/7)
Lenovo M720q with 9500T, 64 GB non-ECC Ram, 256GB SSD for OS + 4TB for data + Intel X550-T2 NIC

Fileserver - 70W: (18h - 1h at night = 7h day)
Asrock Rack X470D4U, Ryzen 2700X, 128GB ECC RAM, 4x NVME 1TB with PLP, 4x 16TB HDD @ striped mirror with special vDev + Intel X710-DA2 NIC

Initially I was planning an all in one server, but this two Server architecture gives me a better Energy profile and eases recovery, if something would break
Restoring the Hypervisor from PBS is easy and data are redundant on two systems - data not redundant: backup on Workstation, cloud storage and/or cold storage.