TrueNas Scale Encryption / ZFS on Linux - Is it stable and reliable?

probain

Patron
I was lazily watching an OpenZFS Leadership Meeting a while back, during my initial research. And they were talking a bit about the ZFS-encryption. Now I don't really remember wich meeting it was. Nor did I really grasp the inner details, since I'm really new to Truenas and ZFS. However, when they mentioned that there were some instances of dataloss. I kind of got carefull/paranoid, when it was time to create my new datasets. And thus didn't enable encryption on them during creation. However, I would very much like to. But....

So my question is:
Is the encryption in Scale considered stable, reliable and safe? Or are there known bugs, that can result in dataloss?

Thanks

Is the encryption in Scale considered stable, reliable and safe? Or are there known bugs, that can result in dataloss?

Total dataloss because you lost your keyfile, keystring, or passphrase? Yes. Just like with any encryption.

Total dataloss because of hardware failure or a catastrophic event? Yes. Just like with any storage.

Partial dataloss due to corruption? If you have redundancy (via vdevs), then it's the same level of protection as with non-encrypted datasets. The encrypted records are written the same way as any record, with multiple checksums to assure data integrity (and repair if you have redundancy via vdevs.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I haven't heard of anything, but I haven't been looking much.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
If there were known issues like this, we'd put them in the Release Notes.

probain

Patron
If there were known issues like this, we'd put them in the Release Notes.
That would be very sensible. Hence me writing that I was paraoid. TN being new for me and all.

Thanks all for your inputs. Much apreciated